Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

plans for social features?

JB   November 27th, 2012 10:48p.m.

Posting progress reports to twitter and facebook is great, but aren't there a lot of us using skritter in China? Any plans to be able to post to weibo, renren, etc.?

Sorry if this has been answered before. The forum search function doesn't seem to work very well for me, maybe because I'm in China...

nick   November 28th, 2012 12:58a.m.

Perhaps not--the Twitter and Facebook integration we did was hardly used, so it doesn't seem like something that people want much.

JB   November 29th, 2012 4:45a.m.

Ah that sucks, but it makes sense.

mcfarljw   November 29th, 2012 6:10a.m.

I knew there was Twitter integration, but I don't use nor have an account. I didn't know there was any kind of Facebook integration.

shenqi   November 29th, 2012 11:00a.m.

I do think some form of Skritter-only badges/achievements would be a nice social feature. It would provide a simple tie between the somewhat game-like nature of Skritter and the satisfyingly obscene amounts of study statistics provided to users. I think it could also provide simple goals for users who aren't sure what to study next (which will be me as soon as I finish HSK 6).

Laspimon   November 29th, 2012 11:29a.m.

I think achievements would be fun, but at the same time, I think I am already wasting too much time looking at my stats as it is...
I never really liked the word "gamification," but I must admit that I have not felt like this about anything since I first played Pokémon Blue back in my childhood.

Shenqi, there's a list called 现代汉语常用词表 words 1-6000, which seems like an obvious choice, for anyone post-HSK.
http://www.skritter.com/vocab/list?list=82658640

nick   November 29th, 2012 2:41p.m.

josh, we built the Facebook thing into the iOS app, not the website. It just lets you share pictures of characters you wrote, or your progress graphs. Last I checked, far more people had tried and failed to use the recover account feature than had used all of the social sharing features that we built into the app combined.

Achievements are something on our list, but not near the top. They just never seem to be the most important thing.

shenqi   November 30th, 2012 3:22a.m.

Thanks Laspimon, will add that to my list.

For achievements, I think Fitocracy (http://www.fitocracy.com/) is a good model, although perhaps a bit much for language learning. But it would be interesting to see some sort of co-motivation social experiments.

jlau   November 30th, 2012 6:29a.m.

About the facebook/twitter share on iOS. I can't figure out how to share specific graphs. Is that a bug? I don't use it for this exact reason. Just seems to randomly choose a graph.

It'd be nice if the graphs showed a little more detail otherwise they're a little difficult to figure out exactly how much progress you've made.

mcfarljw   November 30th, 2012 7:42a.m.

@nick, I'm not surprised that not many people have used the Facebook sharing feature. I didn't even see it until you mentioned it and even then I had to really go looking for it. I've looked at my progress graphs before, but I guess I never scrolled down far enough.

Perhaps it's not a desired feature, but I think in this case it's possible it's just not a well known feature.

nick   November 30th, 2012 8:17a.m.

jlau, it shares the graph showing the most progress. We would have built a better interface for picking graphs (alongside our planned building of better graphs) if people had gone to use it, but the amount of people even starting to use it (and thus seeing that they can't pick a graph) is minuscule.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!