Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Cantonese?

jeffwong   February 1st, 2010 2:06p.m.

I've asked the boys about Cantonese.

Is there anyone interested in getting the Cantonese sounding for all of the characters? Cantonese associations are just easier for me because I know how the words would be used and it helps when I can read off a sign or menu and not have to read it in Mandarin and then translate to Cantonese to get the meaning.

Also, it would help with character retention for me...

jeffwong   February 1st, 2010 2:28p.m.

I'm hunting for a Cantonese speech corpus and I'd be willing to work to get it plugged in.

pts   February 1st, 2010 4:22p.m.

There is a very good online dictionary on the pronunciations of the characters provided by the Chinese University of Hong Kong at: http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-can/

nick   February 1st, 2010 4:53p.m.

That's a great resource, pts! (Once I found the English version near the upper right, it was even better.)

I can't find license information there, though. Jeffwong, would you be willing to contact them and see about using their character->syllable data or audio files, with attribution?

hkboy   February 1st, 2010 8:19p.m.

Yes, I really need the Cantonese pronunciation too. I hope it works out.

jeffwong   February 2nd, 2010 10:46p.m.

Yeah, let me get my dad to help me read that page.

After that, Toi-san-wa!

Tortue   February 3rd, 2010 5:02a.m.

Me too, I learnt cantonese for a little bit less than a years and I'd love to have both prononciation.

唔該!

jeffwong   February 10th, 2010 8:28p.m.

Check out CantoDict:
http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/scripts/wordsearch.php

For example,

http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/characters/660/

Seeing the character in Cantonese context makes it MUCH easier to remember.
Plus also you get to see a bunch of useful colloquial phrases not seen in ordinary dictionaries.

jeffwong   February 10th, 2010 9:06p.m.

Even better is to install the CantoDict Firefox search plug-in.

You can just copy and paste a character in there and get various things.

I prefer the "example sentences/phrases engine", because I know how to pronounce if the compound word is there.

Probably doesn't help for non-colloquial characters though.

jeffwong   February 10th, 2010 9:07p.m.
nick   February 11th, 2010 10:27a.m.

CantoDict looks pretty good. Jeff, want to contact CantoDict and see if they'd let us use their data in exchange for links and a hat tip?

hkboy   April 9th, 2010 6:50a.m.

Hey Jeff,
Did you get a chance to contact CantoDict?

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!