Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

audio clips ; g-onset clipped China Scene Ch 2 vocab

penglindong   September 15th, 2010 2:46p.m.

I have noticed that several of the audio clips of words beginning with [g] are clipped in that you do not actually hear the complete onset .. but the clip seems to begin during the vowel following the [g]. The one instance I recall specifically is with 'ganqing' 感情 in China Scene Ch. 2 TV original vocab. Also .. the tone for the 'gan' in 'ganqing' sounds like a 4th tone .. not the 2nd as indicated.

west316   September 15th, 2010 2:59p.m.

感情 is 3/2 tonally. That sometimes sounds like a 4 but is actually that mini 3. I always remember that combination as a huge pilometric rebound. The tone does a baby hop on the three then a huge rebounding 2 on the second part.

Maybe my ear is off today, but it sounded right to me. I just threw the word into my scratchpad to check it real quickly, though. Is there another version of that 感 that is second tone? The only version I know of is the 3/2 version.

nick   September 16th, 2010 1:17p.m.

Depending on your Flash version (and potentially internet connectivity issues), sometimes some of the sound files can be truncated at the beginning for a while (until they expire from your cache). That said, I think the sound file for 感情 does have the issue you describe. I don't have a backup or I would switch it out.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!