Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

tone/meaning drill (with timer perhaps)

百发没中   March 1st, 2010 4:05a.m.

Hi

I was lying in bed yesterday trying to figure out which tone was the right one for cool/cold 凉 (liang) which I regularly mispronounce as 亮 (and vice versa).

I then thought how cool it would be if Skritter would help with that sort of differentiation practice. I was thinking along the lines of Skritter first checking which characters I've already learned which have identical Pinyin and where I get the tones all wrong. Then Skritter could import those words into a sort of cram mode where I could then just grind through them:) Additionally a timer might be fun and/or useful that then only gives you a few seconds (if that "award system" gets implemented, you could also run a few competitions with that sort of tool as in who gets the most without any mistakes without ever exceeding on the time limit).

Probably this sort of tool wouldn't be very high on the to-do list, but I thought I'd mention it.

David

PS For everyone now unsure which tone goes with which character in my first sentence, it's 凉 (liang2) and 亮 is liang4 :-)

benreitz   March 1st, 2010 4:55p.m.

Great idea! I'd definitely use a tool like that to sort out my same pinyin/tone problems.

Byzanti   March 1st, 2010 5:43p.m.

In one of the other threads Scott mentioned the ability to flag niggling characters to bring up after practice. Should do the trick...

nick   March 2nd, 2010 8:57p.m.

Some means of bringing in tonal cousins would be a good practice mode, yeah. But additional practice modes are not high on the list, as you imagine. Perhaps a tool to group tonal cousins into vocab lists would be more doable.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!