Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

辻 in Skritter asks for two dots.

LadyMissie   August 10th, 2010 12:06a.m.

Whenever it comes up in the program it makes me write the dot in road twice. Is this a mess up that got overlooked or is there a real reason for this?

murrayjames   August 10th, 2010 7:29a.m.

What is 辻 ? Is it Japanese?

nick   August 10th, 2010 8:21a.m.

Oh, there was a thing about this before. I asked Maksym at the time, and this is what he said:

Nick: should 辻 have one or two dots on the left-side component?
Maksym: yeah, it should
Maksym: however few people will be anal enough to write it, and even fewer anal enough to criticize their writing :)
Nick: some guy asked on the forum
Maksym: ah
Nick: is it true of all 辶 radicals?
Maksym: no, it's kinda random and complicated
Maksym: but usually, for joyo kanji, those radicals were simplified to have only one dot
Maksym: 辻 and a bunch of other characters in the jinmeiyou kanji and just random non-standard characters are usually non-simplified
Maksym: but you get into a very hazy area very quickly
Maksym: because there are a lot of 異体字 floating around, so you can get both kinds
Maksym: but according to my trusty 漢字辞書, at least for that character two dots is more standard
Nick: so should I add another dot in the Jhef, or leave this and future 字 consistent with only one dot?
Maksym: should probably put in both dots
Maksym: and for the future, you can get a fairly good answer for these kinds of questions by rendering a character in meiryo
Maksym: so for example that one renders with two dots in meiryo, but with only one dot in Mincho and Gothic
Nick: ah, that will be easy enough
Maksym: but yeah, this is what you get when you have no authoritarian government to legislate proper usage :P

pts   August 10th, 2010 11:46a.m.

Once upon a time, when only the 常用漢字表 (joyo kanji) exists, 辻 was easy. Although that character is not included in that list, but since all the 辶 radicals inside that table have only one dot, one can argue by analogy that 辻 should also be written as one dot.

Then came the 人名用漢字表 (jinmeiyou kanji). This list includes the character辻 written as one dot. Nothing seems special, but actually plants the seed for the present day confusions.

In the year 2000, the 表外漢字字体表 (Hyōgai kanji jitai-hyō), which means "Non-listed kanji font list", http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/shingi/12/kokugo/toushin/001218.htm
was issued. The Japanese government seemed to have given up the effort to further simplify the Chinese characters, and all characters in the list are written in the traditional Chinese way. So the 辶 radicals in this list all have two dots. The important thing is that 辻 is listed here.

So, officially, 辻 is two dots because of the 表外漢字字体表, but should be one dot when it is used in names (such as name of persons or places) because of the 人名用漢字表.

BTW, characters with the 辶 radical can be either one dot or two dots depending on which list the character is listed on.

LadyMissie   August 10th, 2010 12:40p.m.

Oh wow. Ok. I guess I have a bit of extra research on all this to get caught up. Thanks guys. :)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!