Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Traditional : definitions only?

阿軒   October 20th, 2010 5:03p.m.

Lately I am encountering more situations in which it would be practical if I knew how to read some traditional characters.

I do not want to learn how to write them or their tones, just the reading/definition (I do not use reading). Is that possible?

More specifically, is it possible to add traditional characters to the queue, without having them being switched to simplified?

balsa   October 21st, 2010 2:51a.m.

It sounds like the easiest way for your situation would be to change your settings to Traditional and just study the Reading/Definition for the list that you want.

nick   October 21st, 2010 9:20a.m.

You would have to put the traditional characters into a list, then set yourself to study traditional, definitions, then study the list, and change back to study the rest of your stuff.

It won't work as well with the queue because you would have to be in traditional mode both when you put them into the queue at first and when it went to add them from the queue, and you can't currently study just the queue.

阿軒   October 23rd, 2010 9:10a.m.

Thank you, I will try doing so :)

jww1066   October 23rd, 2010 4:42p.m.

This reminds me of an idea that someone suggested a long time ago: prompt us with the traditional character, and we have to write the simplified version. It would be somewhat more complicated in the other direction, as you'd need to show both the simplified character and the traditional definition and/or pinyin.

James

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!