Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Live help?

Bodin   February 10th, 2010 6:30a.m.

Do we really need to have it on the practice page?
Is it possible to shut it off somehow?

arp   February 10th, 2010 7:00a.m.

I just hit the little X and it went right off. Maybe someone else will know if there's a more permanent fix.

hkboy   February 10th, 2010 8:36a.m.

It's a bit annoying to see it pop up everytime. Yes, you can click the X but there must be a way to keep it from coming up.

nick   February 10th, 2010 9:59a.m.

In theory, the Olark chat widget stays closed until you leave Skritter and come back later. I'm not sure how well that works in practice.

It has been cool having it to talk to users, and it has some great features, but there are a few problems with it:

1) It's in the way on the practice page
2) It's expensive
3) It doesn't give us your usernames
4) It doesn't detect whether we're online very well
5) It seems to be messing up our site analytics.

I could fix 1) by turning it off there, and probably 5), but it still doesn't seem worth keeping at this point. So unless people really want it around, I'm thinking we'll end the experiment.

Bodin   February 10th, 2010 3:02p.m.

It disappears for a while, but certainly keeps coming back at least each time you switch pages.

ximeng   February 10th, 2010 4:10p.m.

Also if it's closed there's no way to get it back without changing the page. And when you pop it out into a separate window and then press the << button Chrome prompts with a "Confirm Navigation" message box with the word "false" and nothing else. And finally - when you get a message and it's popped up the main Skritter window changes title despite there not being any chat box in it. That's weird.

I think a kind of irc chat would be cool... like the live chats you did.

http://www.ajaxdaddy.com/demo-ajax-chat.html

Something like the above would work, but probably with an option for private messages / admin only messages.

nick   February 11th, 2010 10:39a.m.

I've got it showing usernames and not showing up on practice page. We may try making it an option and turning it off by default, so it's not in the way for those who don't want it to show up, but you could still get to it when you wanted.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!