Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Reading vs. Speaking

nickybr38   December 3rd, 2010 5:25p.m.

I suppose this is pretty common but I find that I'm getting to the point where I can read/write the language FAR better then I can speak it. I can also understand words I hear better then I can speak them... but at least I KNOW that's common.

Haha.

So, anyone else tempted to pretend deafness and just communicate via written word in their new second/third/fourth/etc language? ;)

Foo Choo Choon   December 3rd, 2010 6:15p.m.

You learn what you learn.就这么简单

还有,忍不住说... 至少fifth 露齿而笑 呵呵

nickybr38   December 3rd, 2010 6:33p.m.

呵呵 is right. :D

ddapore99   December 3rd, 2010 6:40p.m.

Maybe it's because I'm a Japanese student but I better at listening and speaking than reading and writing.

Tortue   December 4th, 2010 3:09a.m.

I'm in the same case, my reading/writing ability is at a upper/intermediate level but my conversation level is VERY basic (mainly because even tho I'm living in Taiwan, I'm surrounded by eng/fr speaking people, I have very few occasions to use Chinese).

That's lead to some very uncomfortable situations where people I'm communicating via internet (in Chinese) thinks I can speak a fluent chinese. they must think I use dictionary or other people :-/

Tortue   December 4th, 2010 3:11a.m.

@ddapore99

I found the japanese to be much easier to practice and remember. I haven't studied Japanese for about 10 years and still remember stuff while I think I've forgotten most of my last week chinese lesson...

west316   December 4th, 2010 10:00a.m.

It seems to depend on what your environment stresses. If you are studying overseas, then reading and writing will probably come more quickly to you. If you are studying overseas it depends on your environment.

When I was in a class of 5-10 people in China, the two were progressing at an even pace. Once I left that school and started doing one on one, my speaking shot way past my reading and writing. I still spent a lot of time focusing on reading and writing, but my speaking still advanced more quickly.

nickybr38   December 4th, 2010 1:09p.m.

Hm, my environment is largely visual Chinese only. I do have the opportunity to hear Mandarin now and then at work (my employer is Chinese) but it's not everyday. So I suppose that would explain why I'm retaining the one and not the other. :)

I'm still tempted to just walk around with pen and paper. ;) Hee.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!