Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Going on vacation

balsa   July 27th, 2010 6:40a.m.

Hello,
I cannot, for the life of me, find the recent thread about putting Skritter on hold when going on vacation.

So I went to the help where it says:
I'm going to go on vacation. Can I pause/suspend my account?

Not currently, but if you drop us a line, we can work with you on this one. We don't want to waste your money and we also don't want you to get overwhelmed. So if you're heading to paradise for a while, let us know and we can ensure you with a worry-free getaway.

You should also start overpracticing (stop adding new words) so that you can get ahead on your reviews and not have as many waiting for you when you return.

What exactly is meant with the "drop us a line", "we can ensure you with a worry-free getaway."

To stop adding words automatically, do we have to manually set that for all the active lists that we are studying?

Thanks.

Byzanti   July 27th, 2010 6:56a.m.

That's probably a bit of out date. General advice is to just stop adding a week before, do lots of reviews (see if you can be ahead of yourself by a few days). Come back, and munch through the review pile. There is a 'save me' tool on the vocab page if you're really stuck, but just going through the review pile rather than spreading them out over a certain number of days is probably better.

jww1066   July 27th, 2010 7:41a.m.

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=41746570&comments=10

or

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=34276339

"Drop us a line" means "contact us". I'm not sure what "a worry-free getaway" implies in the Skritter context either.

Foo Choo Choon   July 27th, 2010 7:54a.m.

I'm currently preparing my account for three weeks of vacation: no new entries for more than three weeks. My aim is to come back with a review queue of <5000 or even <4000 items, then review the stack within about a week.

The Anki (different SRS software) FAQ has a good entry on vacations, scheduling and "freezing options":
http://ichi2.net/anki/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#I_won.27t_be_able_to_use_Anki_for_some_time._Can_I_pause.2BAC8-freeze_the_scheduler.3F

nick   July 27th, 2010 9:45a.m.

I will improve the wording on that FAQ entry. We can extend your subscription by the length of time you'll be on vacation, since we want you to get your money's worth.

You can change all adding to "manual" on the active lists settings while practicing, which includes the queue and so is more convenient than doing it list-by-list on that same menu.

jww1066   July 27th, 2010 12:16p.m.

An unrelated problem: in the RSS feed for this post, it says

Going on vacation
by uy
uy: Hello,
I cannot, for the life of me, find the recent thread about putting Skritter on hold when going on vacation.

I am not sure who "uy" is and why it doesn't say "balsa".

James

nick   July 27th, 2010 2:02p.m.

Oh; the feed isn't using the display names. I've put in the fix for the next upload.

balsa   July 27th, 2010 6:25p.m.

Thank all!

@nick, I wasn't expecting to be able to extend my subscription, but I'll jump on the offer! Love Skritter!

nick   July 27th, 2010 10:32p.m.

How long are you going?

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!