Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

SuperGenPass vs. Skritter

Christian   August 25th, 2010 3:01a.m.

Anybody else using SuperGenPass (supergenpass.com) to generate a Skritter password? I'm always annoyed when getting a login page on Skritter, because on some of them, SuperGenPass works, but on most of them, it doesn't. Does anybody have a clue why?

wb   August 25th, 2010 4:59a.m.

It just came to my mind that you could make some cool, safe english-pinyin passwords... "SkritterIs:Hen3Hao3!"

icecream   August 25th, 2010 9:03a.m.

No. It seems like overkill. Why would anyone want to steal your Skritter password?

Christian   August 25th, 2010 9:30a.m.

Well, I don't use it especially for Skritter, I use it for most websites. Like that, each website can have a different password without me actually having to remember those passwords.

wb, I like your idea of using pinyin for passwords!

nick   August 25th, 2010 10:27a.m.

Are you switching between skritter.cn and skritter.com, by any chance? Reading the docs, it looks like changing the domain is the only thing that will change the password it generates. Not that it couldn't be some other weird interaction, but that's my first guess.

jww1066   August 25th, 2010 12:15p.m.

I use PasswordSafe instead. No, I'm not concerned about anyone stealing my Skritter password to study Chinese, but Skritter does have my credit card number and I'm concerned about people stealing that, and it's quite conceivable that there's some way to get Skritter to display it.

@Christian pinyin is just as subject to dictionary attacks as English words would be. If you want secure, memorable passwords, use acronyms based on sayings or song lyrics. For example, if you are a patriotic American, you can use

Oh Say Can You See By The Dawn's Early Light = OSCYSBTDEL

for a pretty-secure password, as long as nobody knows what song you picked. Add some random numbers and you're good to go.

James

nick   August 25th, 2010 12:54p.m.

We don't have your credit card number, actually--Authorize.net has it and we only have a way to bill things to that Authorize.net profile. And that method of billing things probably wouldn't work unless someone took over the site by cracking App Engine and our SVN repositories (and our skritter.com DNS registration if they wanted to do it more than once).

Christian   August 27th, 2010 1:14a.m.

Nick, no, the problem is that the window on some pages does not appear. I think it's a HTML layer problem, or some interaction with flash.

nick   August 27th, 2010 7:48a.m.

Can you check for JavaScript errors using your browser's error console? And if nothing turns up there, can you let me know which pages work and which don't, on which browser? Thanks!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!