Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Mass add function for Vocab lists?

mierinco   June 22nd, 2010 1:46p.m.

I am currently studying the JLPT level 2 kanji vocabulary list (which is fantastic by the way). so far I'm close to 10 sections in. However, I went to check and see if there was a JLPT 1 list and there does not appear to be.

After looking at the functions to create a Vocabulary list it appears that vocabulary must be added one at a time. Since the level 1/N1 requires around 10,000 words (or about a 4000 word increase over the previous level 2) it looks like it would be nearly impossible for me to make a list like this on my own.

Is this something the development plans to add to the Skritter vocabulary lists at some point in the near future? So that the (known) JLPT words can be studied under Skritter up through level 1/N1?

mierinco   June 22nd, 2010 1:47p.m.

Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear. Is this Skritter development planning to add a "mass add" function for vocabulary?

AND/OR are they planning to make available the complete JLPT vocabulary lists available on the site?

jww1066   June 22nd, 2010 2:28p.m.

I think the current interface is kind of confusing. If you paste a list of items into the "add word" field it will actually add multiple words. You will probably just need to break the items up into sections as you can't have a single section with 10,000 items.

James

scott   June 22nd, 2010 3:03p.m.

James is correct, you can paste any number of words into a section. For more information about how to use the list editor, click the "Learn More" link close to the top of the editor and it should give you all the information you need to know. If any part of it is unclear, let me know and I'll tweak the wording until it makes more sense.

I could make the text input area larger so it seems clearer that you can put in many words at once, or put a hint underneath the text area that says as much (though that might just make it more cluttered).

James, could you expand on how the interface is confusing? We'll see if we can make a few improvements to make it more understandable. After two years of making this site, making intuitive interfaces is as tricky as ever...

scott   June 22nd, 2010 3:10p.m.

Oh yes, and to answer your question about the JLPT 1, I actually have the list ( all the JLPT lists were given to me by Michael Hominick at www.renshuu.org ), I just don't have it finished yet. There are about 400 characters in the list that don't have corresponding words to study with them, so I got stuck trying to figure out how best to work them into the list, since it's best to study these characters in the context of words. It's on my list of things to do but it's kind of low, unfortunately, with all the other things we've got to do. Perhaps I can get some help from our Japanese expert intern on that.

jww1066   June 22nd, 2010 3:39p.m.

@Scott Well, it says "Add a word" and that button creates a single input line, so it's not so strange that the original poster thought he could only add one word at a time.

The previous way it worked, with a big text area for input, definitely made it more clear that you could add more than one word at a time.

James

scott   June 22nd, 2010 4:35p.m.

Aha, good point. I'll try tweaking that text.

I'll also try changing the size of the text area to two or three lines tall. I kind of wanted to avoid doing that because I didn't want all the word lines below to shift, but perhaps it's better to try and make it clearer in this case.

mierinco   June 22nd, 2010 4:41p.m.

yeah, I definitely got confused by the "Add a word" button. And the following "1-line text input area" which makes it appear like you are inputting items one at a time.

Even with lists that can have sections as large as 100 I can still see getting very frustrated creating many thousand word lists on my own and it would be very much appreciated if this type of content was on the site. I hate to sound like I'm passing the buck onto you guys but that's my honest feelings. I'd say I more think of the user generated lists as something like a tool for creating quick "one-offs" that can be used to study things like vocab from songs, chapters of a book, kanji encountered in everyday life, or from a lesson in school.

Hopefully, this is not something so low priority that it doesn't get looked at for a VERY long time!

jww1066   June 22nd, 2010 5:04p.m.

@merinco It's not that hard to make big lists. I've uploaded a number of big lists myself and so have many other users. Just give it a try and if you run into problems bring them to the developers' attention as they are very helpful.

James

Neil   June 23rd, 2010 9:04a.m.

Is the problem now the 200 word per section limit?

One solution is to have your word list in excel and chop it up into blocks of 200 before adding them to skritter.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!