Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Back To School Learning Challenge

Mandarinboy   September 26th, 2010 7:37a.m.

This is a fun challenge that puts some extra pressure to really do the daily skritter session(s). I have one question though, How is time zones affecting this? I will have to go on yet a couple of those crazy trips where I change several time zones both back and forth. E.g I leave Japan to go to Europe, that is 7 hours difference. I leave early in the morning JP time so no time to skritter. When i land, is it OK to change to the new timezone? It is still some 2 hour left on the day in Europe but actually a new day in Japan. The other way around will also happen of course and then i get up to 12 hours extra time. I will have to do this several times during this period. This is what happens when you spread your family/work over three continents.

nick   September 26th, 2010 10:13a.m.

It may be strange for Skritter time for you. If you notice that it hasn't counted your time for every day, but you have done it, just let me know and I'll make sure to include you in the drawing.

Bohan   September 27th, 2010 4:40a.m.

I'm enjoying the challenge too. I hope the Skritter guys do more stuff like this to keep users motivated in the near future too. Or maybe even on a regular basis.

I like it because it gives me a proper reason to go into the progess tab and check things out

alegria   September 30th, 2010 9:43a.m.

I'm enjoying doing this challenge too, but was frustrated to just notice that the time showing up on my progress page for one day is about 30 seconds shy of 20 minutes. However, I am absolutely certain that I did the full time, because I always wait till I hear the bell ding and the announcement I have completed 20 minutes, and then go a little longer usually. Why the difference, and can I still be included? thanks

wb   September 30th, 2010 10:05a.m.

yeah I experienced that once too, doesn't matter for me because some day after that I was clearly under 20 minutes, but it seems to happen...

nick   September 30th, 2010 12:24p.m.

The practice time for a day is the sum of the practice times of all the items you do. Because of rounding errors, the client and server can get a little out of sync. That's why it can be a few minutes different. Also, you have to submit the last review that you did by going to the next item for its time to be counted.

To account for this, we grant leeway on how many minutes you actually need for the challenge according to the Skritter server. No need to sweat it!

alegria   October 1st, 2010 8:52a.m.

thanks for your understanding! Some of us were wondering why there are sometimes discrepancies between what the progress charts say later and what the time showed when we are done. Thanks for explaining how it works.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!