Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Can't add more characters

breakphreak   October 12th, 2010 11:30a.m.

Added the "Old HSK" list - all works fine. Than I've realized that there is the (new) "HSK" list and added it as well. When I cram on both and press "Add" (to add character manually) - it seems to be always added from the "Old HSK". When I cram on the (new) "HSK" alone - then I've got to 15 characters (know them all by the way from the old list) but can't add more - the "+" button is simply inactive. What am I doing wrong, please?

nick   October 12th, 2010 11:48a.m.

You set "Move to next section" to manually, which meant that when you got to the end of the first section of the new HSK list, it paused that list for you. The Old HSK list remained unpaused, as its sections are longer. So when you click to add, it comes from the old HSK. When you're only on the new HSK, it's paused, so there's no adding.

Check the active lists menu while practicing to pause/unpause these guys. We're going to be getting rid of the "paused" state altogether soon, as it's confusing to the max.

breakphreak   October 12th, 2010 12:07p.m.

Thanks for the swift reply. Good to hear that you'll come with something better and less confusing.

On the other hand I do like the option when I just press "+" only when feel that I've learned everything pretty well (or when I really bored with infinite repetitions of already semi-known characters, for example :)

So maybe partially the retaining a control on when to add new characters is a still "nice to have" feature.

nick   October 12th, 2010 12:13p.m.

You will still be able to enable/disable automatic adding and rely only on the manual add button if you want. It's the per-list pausing that will go away.

breakphreak   October 12th, 2010 12:26p.m.

thanks (again :)

skritterjohan   October 12th, 2010 2:00p.m.

@nick: I read you said you were going to get rid of the "paused" state for lists. I use that a lot to select which lists I want to manually add from. I would even like a pause button for the queue.

Will I be able to keep using lists this way?

wispfrog   October 12th, 2010 4:46p.m.

Hmm, I use the pause list feature a lot. I've got several interesting lists added, but only enable the ones I want to study short term. Will anything replace that use case - just of having a place to remember interesting lists for future?

Thomas   October 12th, 2010 6:29p.m.

Same concern as above. I usually have lists paused then turn them on or off according to what classes I have coming up.

nick   October 12th, 2010 8:08p.m.

Well, currently lists are either active (playing), paused, stopped, or removed. Paused and stopped are the same excepting whether the list shows up in the active lists menu or not. Soon there will just be "Adding Words From", "Reviewing Words From", and then the "state" where you've deleted all the words. So yeah, essentially we're renaming the "paused" state, destroying the "stopped" state, and repurposing the practice nav page to better show these states.

mcfarljw   October 13th, 2010 4:45a.m.

@skritterjohan: I think it would be useful to have a pause/stop feature for the queue as well. Sometimes I add more than I should and only realize it once I delve into the list.

Thomas   October 13th, 2010 10:44a.m.

Adding to mcfarljw and skritterjohan, I'd like the queue to act almost like the rest of the lists but still be available to dump random words in and use with the extensions to add words from other sources.

I guess the only things I don't want on the queue is a 200 word limit, sections, and the ability to share. A history of the queue would also be nice for reference and easy access to that information.

nick   October 13th, 2010 11:27a.m.

K

breakphreak   October 13th, 2010 6:28p.m.

Now I can't add even when practicing "everything" - seems like I've got to the end of both textbooks (old/new HSK). Another issue or anything that I am doing wrong, perhaps?

nick   October 13th, 2010 7:35p.m.

You were still on "Manually" for "Move to next section", and both lists had gotten paused. I've set you to "Automatically" for "Move to next section" and unpaused them. You're still on "Manually" for adding words in general, so you will still use the button, but it won't auto-pause the lists when you finish a section.

breakphreak   October 14th, 2010 1:19a.m.

Precisely what I need. Thanks a lot for your fast and kind support.

breakphreak   October 14th, 2010 3:32a.m.

Actually just thought that a friendly error message like "can't add more items because " might be better than making the button grey (inactive) without explanation.

However! In general wanted to thank you for this resource. Starting to get used to it and can really see my (small) progress.

dert   October 14th, 2010 9:27a.m.

I also use the pause feature for my lists, quite extensively. Looking forward to trying out the new setup, and hoping it won't require more clicks to achieve a pausedish state.

阿軒   October 14th, 2010 9:57a.m.

I also use that pause feature quite a lot, I think it would be a hassle to actually go to the vocab page all the time to disable certain lists. Whenever I pause a list, I simply don't want it to add from that list but I still want to practice its contents (when studying "Everything").

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!