Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Hide Definition Function

Hellera   December 2nd, 2010 11:47a.m.

My teacher almost never tests us on definitions and I mostly know them anyways, if I manage to remember the kanji. Therefore, I feel the need to hide definitions (like I can hide or show reading). When I see definitions I always feel like cheating. :P

Any hope of that ever happening?

nick   December 2nd, 2010 2:05p.m.

Can you describe more which kind of prompts you want to hide definitions on (reading, or writing)? What would you be prompted with--just the readings, instead?

Hellera   December 3rd, 2010 11:55a.m.

Yes, I'd like to be prompted with just the hiragana reading. Both when reading and writing. And then, when I get the kanji right, I'd see the definition, just like I the reading appears (if I have it hidden).

It's not a big problem for me, it's just something I feel would really help me learn better. (And shouldn't be too much of a headache to make, if there's already a similar system for readings?)

Hellera   December 3rd, 2010 12:02p.m.

I just realized that when I'm practicing reading, I'm prompted with just the kanji anyways, so what I said applies to writing only. Sorry. :P

pts   December 3rd, 2010 2:13p.m.

When I'm prompted with just the hiragana reading "こい" but without the definition, what should I write? 恋、鯉、故意、古意、濃い、来い、請い or 乞い.

Hellera   December 3rd, 2010 4:06p.m.

True that. I don't have all that many kanji yet and when I'm focusing on certain paragraps for tests, it's simpler too. But you make a valid point, sir.

nick   December 3rd, 2010 5:11p.m.

Yeah; the number of homophones in Japanese makes it so that we can't really do this all the time, and it's tough to know when we could do it, so I think we'll keep the definition as part of that prompt.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!