Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Why Skritter is better than iPod podcasts

icecream   July 23rd, 2010 8:56p.m.

No ads.

I've been trying to listen to podcasts lately but I have to wade through so much self promotion that it ruins my learning experience.

murrayjames   July 23rd, 2010 9:17p.m.

That's funny, I usually listen to podcasts while I Skritter.

I agree with you though--I love Skritter's clean look and interface (and how they let the product speak for itself). Hope that never changes.

If you're burnt out on Chinese learning podcasts, listen to some podcasts completely in Chinese (ie., podcasts designed for a Chinese audience). That way any blatant self-promotion is in the language you're trying to learn, and thus still good for you :-)

贺知宝   July 23rd, 2010 10:05p.m.

Which podcasts do you guys use?

murrayjames   July 23rd, 2010 10:50p.m.

德国之声中文广播 on iTunes
news from Germany, in Chinese

Shanghai radio (with 8 or so channels)
http://radio.bbtv.cn/

Search “中文” in the iTunes store. Scroll down and click on Podcasts. There's a huge selection to choose from.

Mandarinboy   July 24th, 2010 1:04a.m.

I use Chinesepod in conjunction with Skritter and that is an absolute superb combination. I listen to Chinesepod on the way to and from my Work in Tokyo and when home and during breaks at work i do skritter. It is not enough to just sit and learn words/characters I have to learn the best way to use them as well and that is where Chinesepod comes in. I do not feel that any of them are enough by them self but the combination is unbeatable.

SicVita   July 24th, 2010 10:12a.m.

BBC's China Focus podcast is pretty good.

WanLi   July 30th, 2010 4:31p.m.

popupchinese and customchinese. i find customchinese is much better than chinespod as it has more Chinese and less English, and the conversation is done in two ways to enforce the meanings, new words, and ideas. however each site has its +ve, and -ve.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!