Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Marking wrong the first time?

SpokeLee   February 1st, 2011 2:47a.m.

I had read someone on this board before that had said they would automatically mark new words wrong that way they would be sure that they would have it drilled enough times to really remember it. I have been doing this from the start, is this a good idea?

nick   February 1st, 2011 7:58a.m.

It's definitely a good idea on the very first time unless you're really solid on the word, because otherwise the word will be scheduled for about a week, initially. Great for words you know cold, since it doesn't take long to push them way out, but bad for anything you actually haven't learned well, because that initial week is very long for something you don't know.

It's your choice whether to do that for the next few prompts, too. It'll increase your workload a lot, but you'll be sure to learn the word earlier. I don't do this, but I'm not trying to get everything learned in time for a test or anything.

jww1066   February 1st, 2011 8:00a.m.

If the word is one you really already knew, and Skritter just didn't know that you knew it, then what's the point of reviewing it so soon? It's a little bit of time wasted. If the word is genuinely new to you then by all means mark it wrong and review the hell out of it.

James

jww1066   February 1st, 2011 8:01a.m.

@nick - simul-post, ignore me

SpokeLee   February 1st, 2011 10:37a.m.

Sometimes I get a word that I just guess right. I can't think of any instances but if I am studying similar word or something and guess correctly like I don't know maybe I knew that American person would have a 人 on the end. If I had only just been introduced to 美國 recently I wouldn't want to mark that as correct the first time and not be exposed to it a lot. That is just an example.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!