Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Study Everything

Tove   March 28th, 2010 2:34p.m.

Today the "Everything" button doesn´t work for me. It is possible onl to study the lists individually. What has happened?

stelingo   March 28th, 2010 2:37p.m.

I'm also having this problem. Nothing seems to be working for me on this site since the latest changes.

Foo Choo Choon   March 28th, 2010 2:46p.m.

Apparently, Internet Explorer 8 doesn't properly recognize the button. Just try a different browser, e.g. Chrome.

By the way, the new practice page is wonderful. I've rarely seen such a beautiful and useful application of "Web 2.0".

nick   March 28th, 2010 3:24p.m.

I've fixed the button in IE. Sorry about that.

You're one of just two people it seems, 穆. Oh, well. We'll keep at it until the rest come around. It really is going to be a lot better than the old way.

Byzanti   March 28th, 2010 3:50p.m.

The rest of week estimates for reviews is a very smart touch :p. It has my praise!

skdbhunt   March 28th, 2010 4:45p.m.

So that's what that means! OK I'm dense, but since I currently have a really bad backlog, I thought the figures on each day were somehow backwards looking - that is, of the words which are due, when they were last practiced, or something like that. I guess that's why they weren't coming down as I practiced, and in fact, some are going up.

Neat, though.

And by the way, I think I like the list and section practice options, but need some time playing with them to see how they go.

jww1066   March 28th, 2010 5:52p.m.

Yeah the day-by-day numbers could badly use some explanation. I wasn't quite sure what they meant either. And what exactly do each day's graphs mean?

James

Byzanti   March 28th, 2010 6:11p.m.

I think they're the time of day the amount of words are due in. It's very neat!

murrayjames   March 28th, 2010 7:10p.m.

Nick, I've posted this elsewhere, but here it is again: I love the new practice page :-)

nick   March 29th, 2010 10:53a.m.

Thanks guys! Yeah, all testing has revealed that the item dueness graph needs a good label like whoa. Will work on that.

nick   March 31st, 2010 11:11p.m.

I've added some labels. I know you guys already know what it is, but do you think these labels would have made the graphs clear on first encounter?

sarac   March 31st, 2010 11:30p.m.

It certainly would have helped but it still would have made me ponder them, especially the dancing, interesting shapes - is it for art's sake or... I suppose if you're still providing the hover-help bit you could provide a lengthier explanation.

By the way, you must have to make some assumptions in order to produce those projections, right? Like assume that the user gets a certain percentage right or wrong in order to know when today's (or tomorrow's...) practice items will come up again. Or are you just looking at the list to see what will come up, ignoring any need for re-practicing in the upcoming week. Just curious.

jww1066   April 1st, 2010 7:26a.m.

The labels should help, sure. I was hoping for a good tooltip on the day-by-day charts.

It's also a little confusing that they change second-by-second; I assume this is because you're loading the data?

James

nick   April 1st, 2010 9:38a.m.

Oh yeah, tooltips--duh! I will add some. How's "You have 34 items coming due on Wed, not counting new items or rereviews of things you practice before then." ?

They change like that because they're loading, yeah. I think it would take too long to load with no action if they waited until they were done. I kind of like the dancing, but that's me.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!