Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Export starred words

Mandarinboy   August 22nd, 2010 10:33p.m.

The star functionality is really great and something that I use all the time. However, it would be really nice to be able to export only the starred words. I would like to export them and then import them to my flashcard software in my phone. I study a lot during the train rides to and from work and other places where I do not like to open up my PC to study with. It gives the extra "burn time" I need for new characters to stuck. Several small sessions with the characters are more effective than one long one i feel. Even though i spend up to 2 hours a day skrittering i usually never spend more than 20 minutes per session.

nick   August 23rd, 2010 11:01a.m.

How many starred words do you have? It doesn't seem like very many people are using the stars, so I'm hesitant to add features around them. If you don't have too many, perhaps you can copy and paste them directly from the starred words list page, then reformat for your phone?

jww1066   August 23rd, 2010 11:53a.m.

I have to admit I'm not sure the star feature is really necessary. If I have particular trouble with one character, I simply mark it wrong and it comes up again automatically. Or if it's something super persistent, I add more words that use it.

The guy behind SuperMemo says that, if you find that you need many repetitions to learn something, that means it's probably formulated wrong. You need to reformulate it, add more context, break it up, relate it to something else, etc., instead of simply repeating it a trillion times.

James

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   August 23rd, 2010 2:35p.m.

Some words i put a complete mental block on

for me, sometimes simply seeing the star being highlighted and knowing i had problems with it is enough of a reminder to bring back the definition/reading, and then i deselect the star again, and mostly i won't have problems with it again
its not giving me any hints *besides* the fact i struggled with it before, unlike reading a character definition or something... so thats why i really like it

i dont use the "practice starred words" though

my worthless two cents :P

Mandarinboy   August 23rd, 2010 4:43p.m.

I am pasting them in manually now to be able to review them on the trains. Since I can't use skritter on Iphone this is just a work around to be able to study new characters also on the run. See the point with very few people using this functionality but it works great for me to be able to handle hard to learn characters this way. I keep on pasting them in manually. I also like to review starred words from time to time though. Nice little feature.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!