Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Prioritize specific vocab lists?

DaXia   March 6th, 2011 8:30a.m.

I'm studying 10 huge lists atm. I also made my own list with new words that I find in books etc, and since there is no way to know whether a word is in a vocab list or not (*hint* fix this please with a search function or a popup msg: "you're already studying this word in list x" *hint*).

Anywho, I would like my own vocab list to be prioritized in front of all the other lists.
Like "if my own list is not at 100%, dont add words from the other lists" kind of function.

How to do this?

jww1066   March 6th, 2011 10:57a.m.

It sounds like you want to stop adding from the other lists and only add from your custom list. Then when you finish it you can turn the other lists on.

James

Neil   March 6th, 2011 10:59a.m.

search function already exists under 'my words'
"own list is not at 100%" do you mean review due dates or list adding progress?

dbkluck   March 7th, 2011 10:59a.m.

I had thought about something similar. I have one main textbook that I'm following, but some other less important lists that I'm adding from too. It'd be nice to adjust the importance of lists so that as Skritter adds new words, it puts a thumb on the scale in favor of my main textbook. So say 70 or 80% of new words added come from the main textbook, and Skritter adds from the froofier lists like "Kung Fu Actors/Directors" much less often. That way I can still add some fun words here and there without slowing down progress on the main textbook too much. Not sure if there's way to set up an intuitive UI for it though.

jcdoss   March 8th, 2011 9:36a.m.

I've thought about this too. The solution I found is to just spend five minutes or so studying a list you want to prioritize, and make sure Skritter adds a few words from that list while you're doing it. Then, I go back to "Study All" and spend the remainder of my daily 20 minutes studying everything. It's clunky, but it works OK (when I remember to do it).

My problem is I've got too many lists going at once, most of which I made from external reading or my pen-pal email exchange, so I wouldn't know which to prioritize! I tend to knock out the ChinesePod lists quickly, though, so I can get onto the next lesson.

nick   March 10th, 2011 1:03p.m.

We've heard requests for this a few times, but we always get stuck on the intuitive UI issue. That stuff's hard!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!