Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Problems with Chrome on Linux

gacorley   February 4th, 2010 5:44p.m.

I realize I may be the only Skritterer that uses Google Chrome on Ubuntu, but I can't log into it from there (have to use Firefox, which is not so bad).

nick   February 4th, 2010 6:01p.m.

Are there any JavaScript errors on page load? (Hit Ctrl+Shift+J to open the JavaScript console, then reload the page).

Does the login menu just not show up, or does it reject your credentials?

Same issue if you go to http://www.skritter.com/login ?

scott   February 4th, 2010 6:24p.m.

I'm using Chrome on (Fedora) Linux too and I haven't had a problem logging in. The fonts are kind of wacky (which I hope they'll fix during beta), but functionally it works. Both clickpass and the password system.

What version of Chrome are you using? Mine is 4.0.249.43, which I just checked is the latest version available.

Shisoik   February 4th, 2010 7:52p.m.

I'm using Chrome 4.0.249.43 on Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) and I don't have log in problem, but may be because I log in via Google account. Also my fonts look great. In fact, they look better than in Firefox 3.6.

gacorley   February 4th, 2010 8:35p.m.

skritter.com/login works. Basically it was just the homepage login button didn't work.

scott   February 5th, 2010 10:20a.m.

Hmm, try clearing Chrome's cache?

maci   March 12th, 2010 8:11a.m.

Having the same problems,
the /login page did not work either for me.
but im using the clickpass gmail login now, works way better :)

scott   March 12th, 2010 12:04p.m.

I had a long convo yesterday with Maksym (our intern last summer) who wasn't able to login on Chrome on Windows. We narrowed it down to one of the javascript files not loading, inexplicably. But then right after we figured that out it started working without having done anything!

Well I've added some code to really try to make sure that the necessary code is loaded no matter what. We'll see if that ends this problem.

marchey   March 13th, 2010 4:13a.m.

I am using Chrome all the time on Windows XP, Vista and Linux (Opensuse) with no problems whatsoever regarding the login. Never had any problem really, not with the older versions, nor the beta nor this current version (4.0.xxx).

The only problem I see with chrome on linux is that the flash animations are too slow. With all the discussions going on about flash vs. HTML5 I wonder what your position is on this. In future some devices may not have flash at all. Chrome OS will not have it I think.

scott   March 13th, 2010 9:10a.m.

Yes, same here, I've never had any trouble. It seems to only affect a few people sporadically. The worst bug to debug!

For now, we're sticking with Flash. HTML5 isn't highly supported yet, and my general impression is it still won't be able to do all the things we need, not yet anyway. We haven't seriously looked into it though, so it may be more feasible than I imagine.

But either way, it would take a lot of time to shift over the Flash to javascript and html, and we're bogged down enough as it is. Until we would see major benefits from shifting over to HTML5 from Flash, it's just not high on our priority list.

I searched and this PC world article says that Flash will be on Google Chrome OS.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/182718/google_chrome_os_its_promises_and_secrets.html

But if they change their mind, that will put more pressure on us to switch! The iPhone and iPad have already put that pressure on.

So I guess the short answer is we'll play it by ear, based mainly on HTML5 vs Flash availability, feasibility, and our existing priorities.

nick   March 17th, 2010 6:51p.m.

A lot of people like to talk about HTML5 and its canvas replacing Flash. In most cases, it can. But if you're pushing performance limits, Flash will stay the way to go (on Windows at least); I think it's always going to be faster. Compiled, typed ActionScript will defeat JavaScript. Flash yet provides a much richer and further-developed environment, and it's surprisingly more open than many think. I wish it would get made into a standard and that Adobe would be able to offer a faster experience on other platforms with it.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!