Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Which hanzi does Skritter hate?

Lurks   April 29th, 2010 6:09p.m.

I find that some characters have strokes which Skritter seems extremely picky about, often needing several attempts.

Such as the top right bit of 舅 and the drops in 火, particularly when they are smaller radicals.

Does anyone else have examples of things that seem inordinately difficult to write so Skritter accepts them?

雅各   April 29th, 2010 6:14p.m.

Yes they are all annoying (:

But yes, the second stroke in 火 in radical form drives me insane!

Foo Choo Choon   April 29th, 2010 7:16p.m.

jww1066   April 29th, 2010 8:15p.m.

I have never, ever had Skritter recognize the first stroke of 孕 no matter what I draw.

James

nick   April 29th, 2010 10:17p.m.

These guys all on my list. I am getting very due for a round of tuning on these recognizers. Then I will make them work better and rejoicing shall be heard throughout the land. (I would probably have done it sooner but for unpleasantness and for that the poll indicated it wasn't that important.)

James, pro tip: five it up. Try drawing a boxy "5". Five segments. Or draw anything with five segments. You can draw a five-segment lightning bolt.

sarac   April 29th, 2010 11:54p.m.

My bugaboos are the left / lower corners (shu zhi?)
eg: 纯 fifth stroke or 顿 second stroke. Sometimes I get lucky on the first go at it but often the more I try the worse it gets. I copy the phantom: no good; I exaggerate the corner: well maybe.

But, for the most part, it's amazingly good at recognizing what I draw.

FatDragon   April 30th, 2010 12:20a.m.

The worst for me are 及's first stroke and the second stroke of 心, particularly as a bottom radical, though I suspect that's more because of the discrepancy between my handwriting and Skritter's styling of that character (I typically start mine heading down and left before turning to the right and hooking or swooping upward).

I have also had some trouble with the 12th stroke of 懒, but that's probably because I like to write it a bit wider.

Oh, and the first stroke of 预 has given me a lot of trouble in the past wherever that element appears, but it's been smoother lately, probably because of my own adjustments.

I agree with sarac, though; the recognition is largely very solid. Setting the proper settings on your tablet make a huge difference, incidentally; I went from moderate dissatisfaction with the recognition to amazement that it could be so good in the course of two or three settings tweaks.

ktvxiaojie   April 30th, 2010 5:14a.m.

I'm with FatDragon on the 心 as a bottom radical. I think I have to redraw that second stroke just about every time, which is unfortunately rather often, considering how many characters have it.

Tove   May 1st, 2010 5:07p.m.

I very often have problems with hooked lines, like the first and third strokes in 预 and the fourth stroke in 报.

arp   May 3rd, 2010 9:04a.m.

FatDragon: Since your post I've been concentrating on 心 as a bottom radical, realizing I was having much the same problem, though not every time. Don't know if my explanation will make sense to anyone else, but what seems to work for me is that I "strectch" the long stroke almost horizontally from left to right and then "let it go." It appears to snap into place then.

FatDragon   May 3rd, 2010 8:44p.m.

@arp - Yeah, I've personally been writing it like a backwards check mark recently and it's worked fine. I don't look at Skritter as a handwriting tool so much as a general learning tool, so it's no big deal that the input is somewhat different from how I write it, as long as it's somewhat close and I can consistently get it recognized on the first try to avoid getting hung up on the stroke.

I wouldn't be surprised if the recognition has been tweaked a bit in a lot of the characters containing that radical by now, though - the team seems pretty well on top of that kind of stuff - I submitted a correction request when I was Skrittering last night and got an email less than five minutes later that some recognition tweaks had been made and it should work better now.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!