Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Blogs for Japanese?

jathonjet   November 6th, 2012 8:29a.m.

I have been a user with Skritter for about 2 years, although I changed accounts not long ago. I've noticed that Skritter focuses on the Chinese learners, which I don't blame them, as there are far more Chinese learners on the site compared to Japanese.

However, every blog post that comes out appears to only appeal to Chinese learners. Every now and then, can Skritter write some blog posts that will appeal to the Japanese front?

Jathon

nick   November 6th, 2012 12:41p.m.

We'd love to, except none of our current team are pro at Japanese. If any users wanted to contribute articles for the Skritter blog, that would be awesome.

icecream   November 8th, 2012 2:19a.m.

What kind of articles are you looking for?

jathonjet   November 8th, 2012 5:10a.m.

Not sure if you are asking me, or Nick, but...

I'd personally enjoy blogs that are similar to the recent "Beyond the Cold: Extended Usage of 冷" and "Chinese in the Moment: Hurricane Sandy."

Basically, anything that aids learning Japanese or is interesting from a linguistic standpoint.

nick   November 11th, 2012 7:49p.m.

We're open to posting any articles that Skritter users would find interesting to read on the blog. Example topics include Chinese or Japanese language, culture, language learning, Skritter, learning stories, etc. If anyone wants to write something, just propose a topic and let's do it.

icecream   November 13th, 2012 3:35a.m.

@ jathonjet

If you like those articles, you might like some of the articles on "Kanji Clinic". Just to warn you: The quality varies.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/ek20120326mn.html

@ nick

Do you have a ballpark estimate for how many people read the articles you post? What's the circulation?

nick   November 15th, 2012 11:14a.m.

Just checking the analytics on the first language-related blog post that popped up:

http://blog.skritter.com/2012/10/naming-and-knowing-power-of-correct.html

Looks like 319 people read it, not counting anyone who has it in a feed reader.

nick   November 15th, 2012 12:23p.m.

Also, this isn't counting people who read blog posts from the blog home (as opposed to clicking on each blog post), which I'd guess is about twice as many from the numbers, though it's hard to say for sure.

All told, it's probably around 500-1000 people per post (and can't tell how many people don't read the full post).

ddapore99   November 15th, 2012 8:29p.m.

How about finding popular Japanese blog sites and invite the bloggers to write or do a video blog on Skritter. It would bring attention to their site to skritter users and bring knowledge of skritter to their readers.

icecream   November 17th, 2012 10:02p.m.

I'll try to write something. Give me a topic and a word count. My Japanese isn't at a pro level but I am able to play simple video games in Japanese.

nick   November 18th, 2012 6:01p.m.

icecream, what are you interested in? Many Japanese-language-or-culture-related topics are relevant.

icecream   November 20th, 2012 1:34a.m.

I enjoy writing. It doesn't matter what I write about.

What do you consider to be Japanese culture? The Japanese language? Neither are immutable and both are too broad to write about generally.

I did Judo for a few months. Skritter was no help with that. Simple kanji I learned from Skritter helped me navigate through Japan when I first came here. 大 and 小 are on Japanese toilets and refer to flush strength. 男性 and 女性 are on bathrooms. Knowing hiragana or katakana is useless in some places.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!