Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter on Android 2.2

Lurks   May 22nd, 2010 9:06p.m.

It loads!

Unfortunately it doesn't work. Because if you try to draw it just scrolls the browser... I can't see how to stop it. We can't be far off!

Lurks   May 22nd, 2010 9:15p.m.
Lurks   May 23rd, 2010 7:27a.m.

Okay here's what I've worked out.

You can focus on the flash app. Then browser wont scroll but neither does the pointer move. What's interesting is that the position stuff IS working. If you unfocus Skritter and then click on the flash app in a new location, that is where the skritter brush will appear.

However it wont move and it wont draw if you move your finger around. Obviously flash behaves differently on a touch screen than it does with a mouse. You might expect there would be a problem with actually drawing, but not moving the pointer.

I've seen other flash apps and they do indeed take touch input just fine and work well.

So I'm thinking the lads might need to check out and out figure out how to make Skritter work with the touch screen.

Comments chaps?

nick   May 23rd, 2010 10:59a.m.

Yeah yeah yeah! I gotta figure this out. I will Wave you to ask you to try different things to help me with it. (You can set Wave to give you emails when you get new ones if you don't want to check it; I just love Wave.)

heruilin   May 24th, 2010 10:14a.m.

Very jealous here as I'm stuck on Android 1.6 .. rooting is not an option.

nick   May 24th, 2010 7:06p.m.

For anyone as excited about this as I am, it looks like not only is it going to work, but it's actually fast enough without me even doing any optimizations yet. I'll still optimize (especially the page layout), but whoa! Very promising.

Foo Choo Choon   May 24th, 2010 7:32p.m.

iphone该死

骄傲自满
狂妄自大
居功自傲
故步自封
不攻自破

android万岁

Lurks   May 24th, 2010 8:53p.m.

Yep, the native Flash on android can clearly run Skritter fast enough to actually work. I sketched out characters just fine.

That's not to say it couldn't do with some work but I think the reality of having Skritter on a mobile device is virtually upon us :)

Nick, looking at Pleco on iPhone would be good just to get a feel for size of brush and stuff. That is extremely pleasant to use.

Have you given any thought to actually chucking the web text in the flash app instead of on the side? Like have it flash up definitions rather than have them on the side. A simple double tap on the flash zooms it to full screen. If you did everythng in flash in an 800x480 window, that'd be just like running a native app on the phone.

On the other hand... the next question is... I wonder if you can actually make an Android app which basically just uses Flash. I'm sure people are discussing it. Way back when we discussed this I pointed out that it'd be a good idea just from a marketing perspective but it has other benefits.

Like having your browser separate from the "Skritter App" for the purposes of multi tasking. There's a few things that do this already using the browser engine. So you'll be on one app but it's basically a web interface rendered with the browser back end, but it's distinct from the web browser app if that makes sense?

Hobbes828   May 24th, 2010 10:33p.m.

plus you can charge 1.99 for it and make a quick buck :)

nick   May 25th, 2010 12:36a.m.

You'll be able to make AIR apps into Android apps, I think. We aren't using any of the Adobe dev tools except the ActionScript compiler, though, so we'd have to do some work to get there.

An AIR app would also run on the desktop or within Wacom's mini app dock thing that they have now.

I would rather not put all the prompt text in Flash. There is a lot of code that would duplicate, and the browser is better at laying out text. We might put some of it in the Flash in a simplified-for-mobile prompt interface, though.

FatDragon   May 25th, 2010 12:57a.m.

Bamboo Dock is a massive resource hog, though. If I run even the simplest apps it offers, I find that my CPU Meter steadily climbs over about 5 minutes until both cores (of my admittedly modest T7500 processor) are running over 95% and the app is running about 2 FPS. Maybe it's a local issue, but I don't really see the point of a Dock app unless it works well. Besides, would a Dock app be able to communicate with the Skritter servers, or do they place restrictions on that sort of thing?

nick   May 26th, 2010 3:11p.m.

The simplest apps are in the same process as the Bamboo Dock. The more complicated ones get their own process. So hopefully there wouldn't be that much overhead for Skritter.

Anyway, I'm not getting really serious about the AIR app yet.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!