Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

20000+ Chinese sentences

murrayjames   May 20th, 2010 5:16a.m.

There have been a number of posts regarding places to find good quality Chinese sentences.

Well, here you go:

http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/node/115

Over 20,000 Chinese sentences, organized according to HSK and vocab level. XML format. The quality of the sentences is superb. Beware the pinyin, though. There are some mistakes.

I just imported these into Mnemosyne and started working through them. They're good. Highly recommended.

Neil   May 20th, 2010 5:55a.m.

Awesome thanks!

It's got a few weird long sentences, maybe Skritter could use this for their random feeds at the bottom of the practice area (in both languages) haha

百发没中   May 20th, 2010 6:49a.m.

太好了!

Phoboss   May 20th, 2010 6:21p.m.

Is this also available for Anki?
Can I import this into Anki?

nick   May 21st, 2010 9:46a.m.

I will have to try to ask dict.cn about the use of these sentences. Looks promising.

Lurks   May 21st, 2010 8:39p.m.

The XML didn't import into Pleco, so I'm not sure what standard it is.

this is murrayjames   May 21st, 2010 8:48p.m.

Guys i'm not sure what format Anki and Pleco use, but it shouldnt be hard to import it.

open with your text editor of choice. you may need to use find,replace to get rid of the semicolons. if don't know what format to use, export your existing cards and see how theyre done. then save inthe appropriate format. it shoulndt be too hard

i hatetyping messages from cellphones, by the way

Lurks   May 21st, 2010 9:11p.m.

Isn't it XML? I was pretty sure it was. In which case it's a whole lot more complicated.

nick   May 22nd, 2010 10:16a.m.

Download Mnemosyne, import the deck, then export it as a text file. That should make it easier to get into Anki. Turns it into something like this:

他感冒了。 tā gǎn mào le。 ;; He caught a cold.

不过,任何解决[苏联经济失调]办的法都受到权力危机的影响,在改革与开放,经济与政治之间产生一种自相矛盾僵持不下的情况:任何振兴经济的办法不过煽起民众的忿怒并损及政府威信而已。 bù guò, rèn hé jiě jué[ sū lián jīng jì shī tiáo] bàn de fǎ dōu shòu dào quán lì wēi jī de yǐng xiǎng, zài gǎi gé yù kāi fàng, jīng jì yù zhèng zhì zhī jiān chǎn shēng yī zhòng zì xiàng máo dùn jiāng chí bù xià de qíng kuàng: rèn hé zhèn xīng jīng jì de bàn fǎ bù guò shān qǐ mín zhòng de fèn nù bìng sǔn jí zhèng fǔ wēi xìn ér yǐ。 ;; Any solution [to Soviet economic malaise], however, is hostage to the crisis of authority, creating a catch-22 stalemate between perestroika and glasnost, between economics and politics: any measure to shore up the economy only fans public anger and reduces the authority of the Government.

Lurks   May 22nd, 2010 11:25p.m.

Ah good plan, I'll get around to that at some point :)

Neil   May 25th, 2010 6:22a.m.

@nick- I just loaded it into excel and the result is similar.

unfortunately i can't seem to get the pinyin and English in separate columns as yet, as delimiters with two characters (;;) are not allowed. ';' is used in the actual sentences so that screws things right up in terms of importing into excel.

What i am trying to do with the list is search for examples of how to use a new word. At the moment i'm using an excel filter but would be better if i din't have to go through the menu to filter it each time. i'm still trying to figure that one out.

我奶奶对外国人抱有偏见。"My grandmother has a complex against foreigners."

Lurks   May 25th, 2010 6:56a.m.

I just loaded it into a text editor and search/replaced.

Neil   May 25th, 2010 7:25a.m.

ah yes... excel columns sorted!

heruilin   May 25th, 2010 3:05p.m.

@Nick I didn't quite understand what you did.

Specifically, what I did was to register at the Mnemosyne site and then downloaded the zip-ed file. After right clicking on the zh-en_sentences.xml file in Explorer and selecting "Open With" , I then used FireFox to read it and it produced output below:

Chinese -> English; HSK level 1; limited 1; part 1
这需要时间。
zhè xū yào shí jiān。 ;; It takes time.

Chinese -> English; HSK level 1; limited 1; part 1
我不太清楚。
wǒ bù tài qīng chu。 ;; I'm not really sure.

Although the xml tags are a little distracting, its still quite usable with simple searches, however I would like to know how to export it as text .. I didn't see an export selection under the FireFox File menu.

Needless to say, I'm quite xml challenged.

heruilin   May 25th, 2010 3:09p.m.

@heruilin. Oops I forgot that posting would strip out the tags .. the output as seen in the previous post does not have all the tags I pasted in from FireFox .. its what I'm looking for.

nick   May 25th, 2010 4:28p.m.

You should download the Mnemosyne program itself (it's a piece of desktop software). Then use that to import the original file, then export that deck as a text file, which gets rid of all the XML tags.

heruilin   May 25th, 2010 7:40p.m.

@Nick that did the job thanks!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!