Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

site is up and down

Bohan   November 14th, 2010 5:19a.m.

this could very well be a coincidence, but tonight and last night I've been seeing a lot of "Error: Server Error" when I try to get onto the site. Sometimes it seems that the site is a lot slower late at night than it is during the day

Bohan   November 14th, 2010 5:45a.m.

(by the way, I don't know why this got posted twice. Bizarre)

Mandarinboy   November 14th, 2010 6:00a.m.

There have been some performance issues with app engine today: You can actually check the status here http://code.google.com/status/appengine Those errors however i am not sure if they are only due to the performance. There have been more than normal issues this weekend. Still don't bother me to much since it has limited impact on my study anyhow.

shenqi   November 14th, 2010 8:58a.m.

I can't even get to the practice page right now. Also most of the formatting isn't loading (including for this page).

Mandarinboy   November 14th, 2010 9:41a.m.

Same here, it is much worse now. I guess I have to take a break and go to bed instead. The funny thing is that there is no disturbances reported from Google. Just checked the skritter.cn address instead ad that seems to load ok, at least now. Maybe I give that a try.

nick   November 14th, 2010 9:43a.m.

App Engine is throwing intermittent errors. Sorry about this! I've credited your guys' accounts with an extra day to make up for the lack of access.

Mandarinboy   November 14th, 2010 9:53a.m.

Nick, you don't have to do that for me. Appreciate the customer care but I am very happy with the service anyway and do not need to be credited. I just hope there where an option to sign a life time subscription. By the way, the skritter.cn url is for me (from japan) for the moment very much faster than the .com URL. I will use that instead.

william   November 14th, 2010 9:53a.m.

Same here. The site has been working on and off for me today. Inconvenient because I only have time to add new vocab during the weekend, during the rest of the week I usually only keep up with my reps.

shenqi   November 14th, 2010 10:48a.m.

Thanks Nick! Skritter.cn seems to be the solution here in Singapore as well. Quite fast and no problems (glad there's an alternative!).

Bohan   November 15th, 2010 12:12a.m.

same thing tonight

gclaytonlewis   November 15th, 2010 12:16a.m.

Does this happen very often? I just barely signed up, and would love to continue studying here, but not if it's unreliable. I tried skritter.cn and got errors there as well.

Bohan   November 15th, 2010 12:26a.m.

@gclaytonlewis No, this doesn't happen often at all. I remember 4 or 5 months ago was probably the last time it was sort of like this, but it was a lot worse back then. The site was extremely slow for about a week

wb   November 15th, 2010 12:28a.m.

I never had a day I couldn't study, though performance could be better sometimes...

Mandarinboy   November 15th, 2010 1:57a.m.

Don't worry, I have always been able to study and it is seldom those error happens. A quick refresh and you are good to go again. The reason for those errors are often due to Google app engine having some cloud problems. There have been elevated task queue problems the past few days. Google add more 1000 blades/ day 7 days a week in the company so i guess it is hard to really coop up with the demand for this ever increasing trend. They have more than 1.000.000 servers today, more than 2% of the worlds total. Skritter them self are very quick to respond to any technical problem they them self might have.

FatDragon   November 15th, 2010 3:05a.m.

@gclaytonlewis - typically, Skritter suffers when the Google App Engine screws up. Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often, and it's very rare, though not unheard of, to encounter these errors for more than an hour at a time.

If you want, you can look at it this way - a lot of the faithful users have run into these errors once or twice, and they don't keep us away. Besides, worse comes to worse and you find yourself out of luck for a day, you can spend that time studying Chinese with a different method, and the team will be happy enough to credit an extra day to your account so you aren't paying for the service when it's down.

Byzanti   November 15th, 2010 8:28a.m.

Still, I can't think of the last time I've noticed was actually properly not working for a substantial period of time (more than a few minutes). Maybe half a year ago? A year ago? It generally runs pretty smoothly.

gclaytonlewis   November 16th, 2010 1:25a.m.

Good to know. Thanks, guys!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!