Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Chinese tea

aharlekyn   May 24th, 2010 4:19a.m.

I dont know if it is a Skritter problem or my own fault:

I added 中国茶 to my list some time ago and then published the list. For some reason when it came up today the pinyin was Zhōngguóguó instead of Zhōngguóchá. I tried to fix it, but since it is a published list, I cant seem to.

It might be that I added the word to the Skritter vocab and that it was a mistake I made. Cant remember, would be great if it can be fixed though.

雅各   May 24th, 2010 5:31a.m.

Hmm, I am not sure that 中國茶 is actually a word, hence it would not have been in skritter.

ie you dont see "tall person" in a dictionary, you only see "tall" and "person".

Hobbes828   May 24th, 2010 5:45a.m.

then again, that doesn't make Zhōngguóguó with those characters a word either :)

aharlekyn   May 24th, 2010 7:48a.m.

Well, its a word in my textbook. I am but a mere student of the textbook...writing exam tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Foo Choo Choon   May 24th, 2010 7:56a.m.

中国茶:http://baike.baidu.com/view/37511.htm

祝你考试顺利

Hobbes828   May 24th, 2010 9:53a.m.

well a chinese person used it with me tonight, whether or not they were just simplifying some sort of tea that I wouldn't recognize to "Chinese tea" I'm not sure, but at least there is evidence the word might be useful in real life :)

Hobbes828   May 24th, 2010 9:54a.m.

oh and good luck with the test. I almost want to go and study with peers just so I could use Skritter to dominate them on tests... but that is very self-centered of me :)

nick   May 24th, 2010 10:00a.m.

Fixed the pinyin on that one for ya.

We have tons of stuff in there that's not "words"; don't hesitate to add phrases if you really want to study them.

FatDragon   May 24th, 2010 11:10a.m.

Yeah, while 中国茶 isn't a single word, I hear it all the time, such as "你喜欢中国茶还是喜欢外国茶?" Perhaps I hear it more often than others because I like to talk up 普洱茶 so much, but it's definitely a good example of the kind of Chinese you're fairly likely to encounter if you have anything to do with hot beverages in China.

aharlekyn   May 24th, 2010 12:16p.m.

Thanks!

Yea, I haven't the faintest idea how I would've been able to study Mandarin if it wasn't for Skritter. Luckily for me and unlucky for Skritter the students dont know or dont want to try Skritter, so I hope to kick some ass :D

aharlekyn   May 24th, 2010 3:11p.m.

Another word I am not sure about: 长恔 ???

According to my textbook it must be 恔长, but on my list its 长恔. Once again I am not sure if I added the word incorrectly to Skritter. Most likely the case.

pts   May 24th, 2010 4:15p.m.

I think you are talking about 校长, the headmaster. 恔 is a rarely used character, not for beginners.

aharlekyn   May 24th, 2010 5:14p.m.

Yes, its "headmaster" I am referring to.

nick   May 24th, 2010 5:29p.m.

I have fixed that for you as well. I actually see these errors now, when the word and character pinyins don't match up. Handy!

aharlekyn   May 25th, 2010 7:28a.m.

Thanks nick! As usual you astonish me with the fast personal way you do things around here.

@Hobbes828: Thanks to Skritter I wrote a 2h paper in 54min. When I stood up and looked back at the other students sweating it out, I couldn't stop a little smile. This must be the only disadvantage of Skritter...it makes you cocky :D

Neil   May 25th, 2010 8:02a.m.

even the 22000 chinese sentences doesn't have any 恔

and it looks very similar to 校 in skritter forum font!!

sarac   May 25th, 2010 9:03a.m.

I am glad to see I am not the only one who struggles with "skritter forum font". If I really want to read characters here, I often have to copy and paste them elsewhere to enlarge them. A point size of 10 is not very clear, 12 works for the simpler ones, 14 even better for the fiddly ones. And the simhei font seems rather grainy to me? - I know you have looked at others, Nick, and no doubt have good reason for using this one.
When I type Chinese I usually use a 14 point font and I know my emails look like a kindergartener's clunky script to my Chinese friends - but that's not far from my level.

雅各   May 25th, 2010 10:05a.m.

@sarac You will find as you learn more characters it gets easier to recognise smaller characters.

You could try getting a browser plugin that allows you to mouse over chinese words, the mouse-over usually shows you a bigger version of the character you cant recognise, alternatively most web browsers allow you to zoom in on the text, ie its "command +" on Chrome for mac.

Neil   May 25th, 2010 11:00a.m.

@sarac you can also just zoom in with most browsers - hold ctrl and use the scroll wheel on your mouse in chrome. On another forum topic this is being discussed as this will work on the forums but not on the skritter pad itself

sarac   May 25th, 2010 11:11p.m.

Well, that's something! Thanks for that tip, 董雅各 and Neil. Works on the forum, in emails - will save lots of time and squinting.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!