Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

冷 kanji

zult   November 22nd, 2012 4:39p.m.

There is a blog post about the kanji 冷.

That kanji is used in Japanese too: 冷たい (tsumetai = つめたい)refers to a cold thing (rather than cold air). What I have never understand about this kanji is why its printed form looks so different to its written form. The last three strokes are different:

third to last stroke is written sloping down and to the right

second last stroke when written goes across to the right and then slopes back left and down

last written stroke is perpendicular to the end of the previous stroke and points down and to the right

Basically, the last two strokes look like a katakana マ. Does that マ look like the last two strokes of the printed kanji 冷?

The printed kanji seems to have one fewer stroke than the written one.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

俞翰森   November 23rd, 2012 2:17a.m.

This is mostly a font issue. By default Unicode point to the Chinese version of this and not the Japanese. If you change font to a Japanese font it is more likely to be the other version. Even though both are perfectly ok, it seems that the jōyō kanji guidelines takes the version with a vertical stroke last as the "most" correct version. Both are however perfectly ok since they are derived from Chinese both of them. See the official notes about it ( external PDF)
http://www.bunka.go.jp/kokugo_nihongo/pdf/jouyoukanjihyou_h22.pdf Note that there are many other characters that are similar here. You can find many of them in the PDF. Japan have many times changed characters on their own making some characters to be slightly different. Same with stroke order rules etc that also are slightly different.

You can see the same in Latin fonts as well. Just check old an old English font and a Arial. Even in Chinese you have had great changes over time so look at the oracle bone inscriptions, block script etc. Very big variations.

I can just admit that this have bugged me a great deal when i had to start learning Japanese encoding principles for computers.

fluvius1   November 23rd, 2012 8:14a.m.

I agree with Mandarinboy2; It is largely a style issue, where printed and written (e.g. brush) customs are different. A familiar example is the numeral 4; in print it is usually closed at the top, in writing it is usually open. Which is correct? Both. Both are contemporary, and either is fine. Also, in print versions of kanji, the radicals are often "matched" in size to make a largely square kanji, something that is often not bothered with in brushed or penned kanji. Human communication will always have variations, because, unlike Unicode, we are all very "un-Uni".

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!