Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Recognition for a stroke seems to be broken

Lurks   September 16th, 2010 10:33p.m.

The first stroke in 出 is the culprit. It refused to be recognised in 窟 and 脑. I drew over it countless times and it just wouldn't pick it up.

Mandarinboy   September 16th, 2010 11:10p.m.

I have had the same earlier this week. After clearing the Chrome cache and the flash cache it did work normally. I mailed skritter about this and they did not find anything on their side. What I find on my side is when i first did work on a character with this stroke,密, Google had problems with the cache and data store. Every time it come back after that the last stroke did not work at all. Now it works great for me so try to clear your caches.

Mandarinboy   September 16th, 2010 11:16p.m.

Forgot to mention one thing, I had to restart the Chrome session. Usually I never closes my sessions and sets the PC on hibernation. My settings in windows is to check for new data on every start of the browser.

Neil   September 16th, 2010 11:43p.m.

same issue here - 罐 same hook stroke too

Lurks   September 17th, 2010 1:17a.m.

Cheers for that Mandarinboy. (isn't that a girl in the picture)

Strange the exact stroke in the same radical is fine elsewhere. 萄 is fine. Clearly skritter has an 逃避的妖怪

Mandarinboy   September 17th, 2010 1:28a.m.

Well, i am not really a boy anymore either (used that name since the dawn of Internet). That is my oldest daughter so yes it is a girl:-) Seems those problems comes and go. I tested another character and had it back and half an our later ( and a cache reset ) it where gone.

Lurks   September 17th, 2010 1:40a.m.

Yeah there's another thread about it. I tried the ones in the scratchpad and they worked fine for me.

Byzanti   September 17th, 2010 3:12a.m.

You've been speaking mandarin since the dawn of the internet :o?

Mandarinboy   September 17th, 2010 5:46a.m.

No:-)
I just happened to like mandarins as a child so my parents called me that. Used that nickname when in MUD games. The actual Mandarin as a language come much later.

Byzanti   September 17th, 2010 6:38a.m.

That's almost predestination. Fortunate and glory, kid...

Byzanti   September 17th, 2010 6:39a.m.

err "fortune and glory". Sheesh, went and screwed that quote up.

mjd   September 19th, 2010 1:14a.m.

I recently zapped my record and went back to the beginning. All the stroke recognition is working very nicely for me, except for one: The down, then upper left hook (亅). For example, the final stroke in 奇. It doesn't seem to be a problem in 小, but it gets me in every other character with 亅. I'm using raw squigs mode, and what I'm writing lines up exactly with the prompt, so I don't know what's happening.

One other point: Sometimes the recogniser is too lenient: For example, if I write 究 and do the bottom as 刀 instead of 九, Skritter helpfully grabs the  and helpfully changes it to . To me, that's too helpful.

wispfrog   September 19th, 2010 10:33a.m.

Yeah, I seem to be getting more than a fair share of problems with 亅 too. In all characters though, not any particular ones. Its only just enough to be annoying though.

nick   September 19th, 2010 12:30p.m.

Can someone send me a screenshot of a squig that's about to be submitted for one of these 亅's but that gets rejected, even though it should be right? Having trouble finding the problem here. Thanks!

mjd   September 19th, 2010 7:06p.m.

I just went past 究, and it's still substituting 九 for 刀. If someone writes 刀, it should be wrong.

Working on the screenshot :-)

jcdoss   September 20th, 2010 12:04p.m.

"Yeah, I seem to be getting more than a fair share of problems with 亅 too."

Same here. I've been having problems for probably the past week or two, but today already I've had a frustrating time. Even more frustrating is when I get ready to take a screen-shot, it always works!

nick   September 23rd, 2010 10:48a.m.

I've fixed a crazy bug that was randomly giving old recognition parameters for all the strokes I recently changed, which when combined with another change I made to some of the 亅s made them unwritable. It should be fixed now, though. Note that the hook on this type of 亅 is now direction-sensitive--it has to be up and to the left. Before, it didn't care.

However, some of the other 亅s haven't been changed at all, so let me know if you see further problems.

west316   September 23rd, 2010 11:13a.m.

Since you are hunting stroke bugs, I thought I should mention an odd one. It only occurs when I go to write a stroke on a tone check. Sometimes the most simple of strokes don't show up. I can easily hit the number key to enter it and move on. I can't write the stroke to enter my tone, though.

nick   September 23rd, 2010 11:34a.m.

Which tone? Screenshot?

mjd   September 23rd, 2010 6:48p.m.

I found the stroke that is giving me trouble. (This just happened, it's not one I had from earlier)

http://imagebin.org/115434

Here is a separate attempt:

http://imagebin.org/115436

It sure seems like my stroke looks ok.

Mitch.

sarac   September 24th, 2010 12:03a.m.

Maybe it's just me but for the last few days my third tone is rarely recognized. It seems to work best if I am careful to make it a "v" shape with a definite corner.

west316   September 24th, 2010 2:58p.m.

@Nick

I have been trying to get a screen shot for you but the bug is hiding now that I am hunting for it. It was never that common to begin with.

nick   September 26th, 2010 11:11a.m.

I worked on some 亅s and the stroke you mentioned, mjd. Let me know if you keep seeing problems. (The 九 for 刀 problem probably won't go away, though, as that first stroke is really hard to write a recognizer for without being very lenient.)

sarac, I don't really have anything to go on for the third tones. You're not making them really small, are you?

mjd   October 2nd, 2010 7:51p.m.

Hi Nick,

亅 is still giving me problems. Here's a screenshot of the stroke as it's fading, but you can still see it's in position and should be ok.

http://imagebin.org/116718

nick   October 3rd, 2010 8:56a.m.

Yeah, that looks like it should work. What device did you use to write it, and if it's a Wacom, what is your tip feel set to?

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!