Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

add characters by “writing”

BaHeKun   November 22nd, 2012 7:08a.m.

Isn’t it possible to add characters by “writing” them on the tablet?
It would be a nice search tool for unknown characters and easier for translations.
Skitter is running so why start another library search or “search by radical”?
All the hard- and software tools are already there.

DependableSkeleton   November 22nd, 2012 10:07a.m.

What do you mean that the tools are already there? Skritter decides on a character to test and knows in advance what strokes to expect from you. You're asking for a system that takes a user's poorly-written sequence of strokes and determines which character you meant. These seem like two very different situations.

In any case, modern operating systems have Chinese character recognition built in. ;)

Laspimon   November 22nd, 2012 10:21a.m.

Are you insinuating that Windows is not modern, or has Microsoft actually gotten around to implementing that?
And yes, Skritter does not do character recognition. It matches your input to a preloaded character and decides whether your input it passable.

DependableSkeleton   November 22nd, 2012 10:43a.m.

Laspimon, that is exactly what I was implying. But it's okay, I used an emoticon to show I was joking. ;)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!