Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Question about methodology

leebee   December 15th, 2012 2:16p.m.

Hi everyone,

I was curious if using skritter helped you learn to write from memory IRL. In other words, when you're not using skritter and nowhere near any chinese texts, can you just write up a chinese sentence from thin air?

thanks!

俞翰森   December 15th, 2012 2:34p.m.

It surely have done that for me. That is, to write the characters. To construct sentences based on the words I learn in Skritter i use other sources. Skritter is absolutely perfect for drilling writing and reading of words and characters but do not teach us grammar etc. Learning those words and characters however is super fast compared to any other source. It is actually amazing how fast you can learn new words and characters this way. It have in no time brought me to a level where I can read rather a lot of Chinese from films and newspapers. It is so fun to study now with this superb tool.

夏普本   December 15th, 2012 3:49p.m.

I was a little surprised, I never practiced writing characters on paper and was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to write on paper. Not only can I switch from using my finger to using a pen with no other practice handwriting, my characters are so much better formed and stroke order so much better than others in my class. Now if I could find something as good as skritter to teach me grammar I would be sorted. Hopefully as soon as I have learnt enough words they will all fall into place.

jll90   December 15th, 2012 4:41p.m.

Doing a lot of skritter will definitely help you recall a lot of characters easily. The transition from using your finger (or mouse) to writing on paper is seamless.

Chinese grammar is rather simple. If you don't know how to use a particular word, I'd suggest you to look at example sentences on mdbg.net or nciku.com.

Good luck!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!