Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Computer terminology

雅各   March 7th, 2010 4:56p.m.

There are two custom lists which list basically computer hardware terminology. Does anyone know of a list that focues on chinese required to navigate the menus in an OS?

Would be very handy for learning to use computers which are in chinese.

george   March 8th, 2010 8:51a.m.

That's an interesting proposition, and one that Nick could certainly use (he insists on reading Paul Graham essays and playing this bizarre MMORPG entirely in Chinese). My Chinese isn't good enough to come up with the list with any accuracy or I'd offer to scrounge one up for you!

雅各   March 8th, 2010 4:33p.m.

I've spent a fair bit of time searching online to no avail, I guess I will just have to set aside an afternoon to work on it.

murrayjames   March 8th, 2010 5:07p.m.

xkfowboa, it will well worth the time, trust me :-)

I recently set my Skype, Gmail, MSN, Firefox and Facebook languages to Chinese. I was lost for two days, then very quickly caught up. Right now I'm looking at my Firefox window...

文件 (F)ile
编辑 (E)dit
查看 (V)iew
历史 (S)earch
书签 (B)ookmark
工具 (T)ools
帮助 (H)elp

选项 (O)ptions

完成 [webpage finished loading]

部分允许的脚本 [scripts permitted]

...and can read and understand it all. Some menu commands and dialog boxes still escape me, but even then I get by.

My advice: Take an afternoon and learn those words in your OS you don't know. You can always make a Custom List on Skritter and practice them later.

Immersion is the only way to fly!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!