Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Custom List, how to edit definitions?

balsa   April 24th, 2010 7:01p.m.

Hello,

So, it's a topic that's been raised in the past, http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=13631751, and I was wondering how we are currently dealing with editing definitions when adding words in our custom lists.

One example, among others, I have with the word 圓寂.
The custom lists editor suggest the following:
圆寂 圓寂 yuánjì circle

Which I don't really agree with, and prefer the definition MDBG offers instead, "death / to pass away (of Buddhist monks, nuns etc)"

I've actually added the MDBG word to my queue, but the Skritter definition keeps trumping MDBG's, and I am stuck with the "circle" definition.

Since the vocabulary in MDBG is already being looked over and audited by some annotators, would it not make sense to have it override the words in the Skritter database?

Also, another reason for the "override" is that I've been an MDBG fan for years now, and have been contributing to the database as well. Hence, it would be nice to add words in Skritter, the way it has been is defined in MDBG.

What does everyone else think about this?

jww1066   April 24th, 2010 8:06p.m.

You raise a good point: if you disagree with a definition you run into when practicing, you can click on the "feedback" link on the practice page. It would be nice to have a way to provide that feedback from the custom list editor as well.

James

Hobbes828   April 25th, 2010 4:03a.m.

also custom definitions I believe is on the list of things happening soon.

Not sure if they have considered generating those automatically from somewhere like mdbg (which presumably would be ok because of the licensing).

scott   April 26th, 2010 2:26p.m.

We'll be adding custom definitions in the near future, it's true. And I'll be working on the new list editing system soon and will make sure it's easy to set up custom definitions while creating lists (though the custom definitions will only be applied to your learning, not the list).

With this system you'll also be able to submit your custom definitions for adding to our official dictionary. We prefer to have our dictionary be our own, without such automatic overwriting so that we can truly call it our own (things would get more complicated if the dictionary technically wasn't 100% ours), and so that we can make sure the definition is concise and fits well with the practice system.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!