Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

List Management

FatDragon   May 24th, 2010 9:31p.m.

First question: I occasionally see a mention made of 'pausing' lists; can this be done without removing the list from the practice page? All I've been able to find so far is the 'remove' function, which removes it from the practice page, which potentially causes difficulty when I need to restart it, I might forget which list it was, or I might forget that I meant to reactivate a list in the first place.

The other issue is completed lists being removed from the practice page. I like to keep all of my lists, completed or not, compiled on the practice page - it gives me quick access if I want to cram (though I usually only use that function to push words into my SRS study), and it provides motivation as I kick more lists into the "Last studied XX days ago" section. So far, I've had to reactivate those lists (a feature I can no longer find, so I've got another list or two that should be inflating my ego but is instead just sitting in the custom lists section), but I'd rather they just stuck around.

If not on the practice page, is there a place I can go to view and manage all of my studied lists, past and present? This would be especially useful because I've got a few textbook lists that I'll need to start and stop as I study the books more, and updating the sections studied every time is a bit of a pain, I'd rather have a simple pause/unpause button that allows me to keep things a bit simpler and more organic.

Hobbes828   May 24th, 2010 10:31p.m.

there is a pause/play button next to each list you are studying if you click "active lists" while practicing. Sounds like it should cover most of your needs. Don't think there is anyway to easily see lists you have previously completed if they are gone from your practice page and weren't lists you created (still in your custom lists). I guess you could "remix" every list you wanted to study just so that it stays on your custom list page even after you finish.

dorritg   May 24th, 2010 11:17p.m.

FatDragon, I asked exactly the same question a couple of weeks ago. I agree it would be super-useful to have an easily accessible (i.e. not from within an active practice session) list management tool that allowed you to see all lists you're working on (or have completed), and to pause them, not just to remove them. I would also really like to be able readily see my lists from all sources (textbooks, ChinesePod, my custom lists, other people's shared custom lists) rather than having to navigate to separate pages for each. Categorizing them and making separate tabs is useful when I'm trying to add new lists, but painful when I'm trying to manage lists I've already added.

Hobbes828 is right that the pause button on the "active lists" pop-up from an active practice session is helpful, but there isn't a really good workaround for the rest (i.e. seeing everything you've started, where you are, what's paused vs. active, etc.).

scott   May 26th, 2010 9:18a.m.

Looks like the pause question is already answered. Thanks guys!

In terms of viewing all the lists you've studied before, that is the list of lists in the practice navigation page. It's a very simple way to view everything you're studying or have studied, and be able to remove them if you wish. It's true it doesn't show you everything about the list, like if it's paused or not, but there's not much room for it to be more complex and that page has about as much complexity as we want for a single page. Then again, the two functionalities you want are kind of split between the practice navigation page and the active lists box in the practice page (viewing/choosing to study in the former, pausing and unpausing in the latter).

We're going to be looking again eventually at the good and bad parts of the current vocabulary system in the future, and when we do we'll see if we can find a better solution for this!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!