Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Difference between Old Hsk and New Hsk

jimi02   November 12th, 2010 6:54p.m.

Hey everyone,

So I just completed the Old HSK 1 list and need to add a new list now. Just wondering what the difference is between the old HSK and the new, and which you suggest that I recommend proceeding with. And, if anyone has experience with this, what level of the new HSK I should start with.

Thanks,
James

west316   November 12th, 2010 9:09p.m.

The beauty of Skritter is that it sorts out what you already know and what you don't. If you did a New HSK list, I would recommend starting at one. I started doing HSK lists after having already studied for a year and a half. I ran through levels 1-5 relatively quickly. 6 is a bit slower, though. If I ever decide to go and study the old HSK lists, I will just plug in level 1 -x and see what I get.

The differences between the two HSKs are rather extensive. New HSK has 5000 words. The Old HSK has 8882 words. The old one is quite a bit more difficult I hear. The new one, a Chinese person could pass its highest levels. The old one, I have talked to a Chinese person with a masters in Mandarin and applied linguists who admitted to me that, to be frankly honest, she would be slightly nervous to take the highest level of it. Teachers I have talked to have said, if you are going to take one, take the new one. Use the old one's vocabulary to patch up any holes you have left over from the New one's word lists.

That is what I have heard and read anyway. I have not taken the test.

jimi02   November 13th, 2010 9:50a.m.

Thanks... that's helpful. New HSK it is!

贺知宝   November 13th, 2010 10:44a.m.

If you are planning on using your score, take the old exam. Many companies and schools do not accept new hsk scores because there are a lot of unknowns.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!