Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Vocabulary entry

MasterOfComboBoxes   November 30th, 2010 2:00a.m.

Hey fellow learners,

so far I usually used existing lists but now I am about to enter some words and sentences from a grammar book.

How do you handle this problem:
Let's say I enter something like 我喜欢。。。 Then the suggested Pinyin is something like Wo3 - xi3 - huan1 ...

It happened is slipped out of the entry field, it is impossible to change to Wo3 xi3huan5 ... anymore. Any way to remove the "wrong" tone and the "-"

It would be better IMHO if the saving would only take place after I really save the list but Skritter persists the link of Chinese Character and Pinyin directly.

Deleting the word again and entering everything does not help as the wrong entry is found in the database not allowing any change anymore.
Just waiting until it is called in study and sending a feedback for correction does not make too much sense.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Alex

MasterOfComboBoxes   November 30th, 2010 2:47a.m.

Just saw the style guide, if the default is xi3huan5, then I am not sure why I am prompted xi3huan1 on some of my entries. Maybe another entry fault I made at some point that I could not correct anymore...

nick   December 1st, 2010 8:40a.m.

Someone else had created 我喜欢 a few months ago, so you got the pinyin and definition from that entry--it wasn't that you created it hastily and got it wrong. I've fixed it up.

If you do enter something else like that and get it wrong, yeah, you'd have to let us know if it's got the wrong pinyin. The suggested pinyin is just a help, but it's not meant to be solid, and it often doesn't know about neutral tones. I think it automatically removes the dashes if you copy and paste it.

It makes it a lot easier for us to save the word then instead of waiting to save all words and the list together.

MasterOfComboBoxes   December 1st, 2010 12:19p.m.

Actually this was just an example, need to check my other sentences again if you really only changed wo3 xi3huan1 as a single entry.

I understood the MDBG Button now, it is quite handy and prevents entry errors.

I don't think the dashes get removed, I forgot deletion once and they stay:
wo3 - de5 - mei3guo2 - peng2 you5 - xi3 - huan5 - zhong1 guo2 fan4

Maybe it would be a good idea to copy the pinyin string completely to the entry field (without hyphens :-), then select this text completely when the field gets focus. This would allow enter pinyin just by deleting multiple tone choices without first doing copy and paste. Those who want to enter pinyin themselves completely can just overwrite the selected text.

I understand that performance and architecture might require it currently but not being able to change such things are a bit annoying. And asking you every time does not seem to efficient, as errors can happen easily, especially when using a touchpad...

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!