Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

What's the reading? - any way to turn off the English meaning?

fragkanji83   November 12th, 2012 1:25a.m.

Skitter Japanese for iPod touch . When it shows a kanji and asks what the reading? Is there a way to turn off the English meaning? Because I find that I know the words if I see the English but I want to practice reading the kanji only.

Is there any way to turn off the English part?

Thanks!

nick   November 12th, 2012 11:57a.m.

Does the "hide reading" setting do what you want?

fragkanji83   November 12th, 2012 11:07p.m.

Thanks that helped!
Will subscribe later today :)

Bryce   February 5th, 2013 1:07a.m.

"hide reading" hides the phonetic, hiragana reading of the kanji, but does not hide the English definition as far as I can tell.

Is there a way to turn off the definitions? They seem to turn off after you have seen a word a few times, but it would be nice to have more control and be able to have it not show a definition until after you tap to see the reading.

nick   February 6th, 2013 12:08a.m.

We don't have a hidden definition mode, no. Certain prompt types won't include the definition while prompting, but others will. We don't have logic to start hiding the definition after you've seen a word a few times--it's always the same on a per-word, per-prompt-type, and per-hidden-reading-setting basis. (Words with all kana vs. some kanji vs. rare kanji behave differently, and sometimes also behave differently if you're studying the writing part or not.)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!