Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Not physically writing at all?

wispfrog   February 13th, 2011 7:59p.m.

I've been skritter-ing for about 9 months now, and got up above 1000 characters. I bought a tablet almost immediately, and have been using it happily during that time. That's with raw squigs and pretty much maximum restrictions on stroke ordering.

But due to a change in circumstances recently, I've had a lot less time to practice with the tablet available, and have instead been doing snatched bursts at times using computers with no tablet. So for those times, I just imagine the writing - I think through all the strokes in proper order and then press s and mark it wrong or right. And actually, that seems to work pretty well. Now that I've got this far, its actually easy to accurately remember exactly what features I put in, and whether it was right. And its even faster than actually writing it.

But my question is, how good/bad/dangerous is it to continue like this? Thoughts, opinions, experience, anyone?

Thomas   February 13th, 2011 8:04p.m.

As long as you're honest with yourself, I think it's an okay way to practice. The pen is probably the only way to train new muscle memory, though.

Roland   February 14th, 2011 12:16a.m.

wispfrog, I personally do not believe in this "muscle memory". In golf, if you correct your swing just a little bit, people say, you need to practice this at least 1000 times before the muscle memorizes. I more believe that writing is an active learning approach instead of the passive looking at a character, and an additional "input channel" into the brain. As such, it helps memorizing by forcing you to reflect stroke by stroke additionally to the just visual approach, which might memorize only an image as a whole(once you switch to another font, you might be lost, as you have only an image in your brain. I experienced this in the beginning, as my aim was only to be able to read. But it didn't work, so I started to learn writing also).
Having said this, it should definitely be possible to close the eyes and imagine, how you are writing this character just in your brain. I did this also before, but as Thomas said, there is a tendency, that you might do it too fast and not accurately enough. I have more positive experience with really writing it down. Then you clearly see, what is right and what is wrong.
That is my personal view - but I'm not a professional in education, just a learner of the language.

nick   February 14th, 2011 7:00a.m.

I agree with what Roland said.

Tortue   February 14th, 2011 8:18a.m.

I also think that the "gesture memorize" is a key thing not only to know how to write but to know how to read and memorize as well.

If you have no access to a tablet, you can definitely use a mouse but I suggst you to also have a sheet of paper and a pen to train some new/difficult word. It needs more time but it's also efficient.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!