Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Sound and character sequence out of sync...

west4east   February 19th, 2010 1:14a.m.

Well, apart of the time I notice that words that have a double character in sequence do not get repeated. In other words, I don't have to write it twice anymore. This would be OK, if the sound would keep up with it, but it doesn't.

For example, there is a long sentence like “天苍苍野茫茫风吹草低见牛羊” in my queue lately, and by the time I am supposed to write the word "feng" (wind) the sound is already on the word "jian" (to see), due to the fact that it skipped the second "cang" and the second "mang"...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Hobbes828   February 19th, 2010 3:28a.m.

Just noticed it today, with the double character thing "Tian tian" I didn't have to write the tone or character for it, happened a couple other times on neutral tones, not sure if they were all repeats or not...

also skritter just got off a couple times today (different sessions and refreshes, too)... where it would skip a character and then it would appear on the right after i wrote the next character, but there was no way to go back to the one skipped... really weird..

skritterjohan   February 19th, 2010 4:49a.m.

I noticed this when writing 弟弟 and I was kind of presently surprised it skipped through, on the other hand I do want to learn the tones on the second character.

pts   February 19th, 2010 5:02a.m.

Yes, I encountered a similar problem. When reviewing 可歌可泣, the system skipped the second 可 and requested me to write 泣 immediately after 歌. I didn’t notice that but kept on writing 可, and resulted in a wrong character. What is worst is that, when I finally finished writing 泣, the sound for 泣 is kě.

nick   February 19th, 2010 11:03a.m.

Well, this one should be easy enough to figure out. I'll check it out and hopefully have a fix today.

nick   February 19th, 2010 12:12p.m.

Yup--the server was trying to be helpful and remove duplicate items when loading words to study. I'm uploading a fix for it now. Thanks for the great bug report.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!