Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Big problem with stroke recognition

jiaming   May 3rd, 2010 10:33p.m.

I'm not sure if this is just me or not but getting skritter to recognize a right downward stroke is incredibly difficult for me. Characters such as 火,养,人, 从 ect. are really difficult for me to enter into skitter. It has been a few weeks since I've used skritter and I have never had this problem before.

Any help would be appreciated. :D

jiaming   May 3rd, 2010 10:35p.m.

Ah, I forgot to add one thing. The problem also appears when trying to enter 4th tones by drawing the tone in the character box rather than by hitting the button.

nick   May 3rd, 2010 10:53p.m.

This is strange; nothing has changed with these recently. I would suspect that decreased Flash performance might cause problems on these longer strokes if it is dropping frames in the middle of it (although it would seem likely to happen on all long strokes equally). Do you notice choppiness when you write them?

Are you writing with a mouse, Wacom, or what? It might help if you can send me a screenshot of a squig that should be recognized but isn't--I mean, write the squig but don't let up at the end, then capture the screen, save it to an image, and email me. (If it does recognize after all, then try again until you get one that illustrates the problem well.)

jiaming   May 3rd, 2010 10:57p.m.

I'm just using a mouse to enter the characters right now. If you like I could take a video and put it up somewhere for you to get a better look at what I mean.

I'll also try it out on my laptop and see if I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure I experienced the same thing when I was on my laptop a few days ago though.

dothedeerdance   May 3rd, 2010 11:42p.m.

i hate it when you're entering a stroke and its like it doesnt recognise you , and you put it in a few times and then get annoyed and push 'show' cos you think you're doing it wrong, but your stroke was right the whole time, it was just ignoring you...

nick   May 4th, 2010 3:29p.m.

Yeah, a video would be great. (You could also try emailing it to me if it's small enough.) While taking the video, turn on the FPS counter by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F and the squig tracker by pressing Ctrl+Alt+D (just for kicks).

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!