Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

a brand new app runs flash on iphone and ipod touch! have a look

lennier61   May 30th, 2010 1:37p.m.

Dear Skritter creators:

There is an app called "Cloud Browser" by Lida Tang that was approved by Itunes. This app runs flash videos and animations using a peer-to-peer option. I have not being able of testing it with Skritter since it runs only in USA.

drknoerz   May 31st, 2010 6:45a.m.

omg. please please please make skritter work on iphone.

podster   May 31st, 2010 7:23a.m.

I read a review for software called LogMeIn which gives you a remote desktop. You can use your iPhone or iPad to access, for example, the PC you left running at home. The point of the review is that this is a workaround to give you Flash on the iPhone. I am not a techie, but I don't have a lot of confidence that this would work with Skritter. Nonetheless, the bolder among you may want to give it a try.

Would Cloud Browser let you go direct to Skritter, or does "peer-to-peer" imply that you are accessing another PC, as with LogMeIn or Citrix?

Lurks   May 31st, 2010 6:50p.m.

It seems fairly common on the forum for Skritteroids to underestimate how well Skritter needs to work on a mobile to actually be useful. The current version doesn't even work on the native flash on Android.

The Skritter guys built one that does and I had an extensive play with it. It's fast enough, but its still probably not usable in practice.

The interface needs to be full screen and tweaked for practical way finger input works. This is true of any implementation but the issue of raw speed is really the first deal breaker.

Any other solution like running virtual desktops etc will work, sure, (you can VNC to your own desktop but there's also browser specific virtualised tools for iPhone as well) but they'll be dog slow and again you'll have the screen size/resolution issue. In fact on iPhone it will be critical because of the low-res screen.

It seems feasible that an Android flash-based version will be perfectly usable but the only practical solution on iPhone is a native client in my opinion.

scott   June 1st, 2010 12:27p.m.

I gave it a try on my iphone, it worked okay, but yeah as Lurks says it's not optimized layout wise, and it's rather slow to use since it's going through the network. Also, in order to make the mouse drag you have to tap and then hold down for a fraction of a second, which adds up when you're practicing writing (simply dragging your finger makes the screen move).

It does give me a nice way to demonstrate skritter on my iphone now, at least!

lennier61   June 4th, 2010 12:44a.m.

Scott, as you say, it is a beginning. I have read that the paid version is a lot faster and reliable, but still in production.

I am sure it will a workaround for this Flash problem.

I will not buy an Ipad until Skritter runs smoothly on it, if not what for?

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!