Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Best book to learn Chinese?

ChineseTeachers.com   June 11th, 2010 11:03p.m.

Hi there!

We thought we would share some interesting data we have compiled with our teachers on which books they have. This is not complete yet but gives some ideas on which books are more popular amongst Chinese teachers (we have 190 Chinese teachers now).

We hope this data might help some of you decide which books to consider (next). If you are *very* happy with a book and cannot see it in the list, please let us know (the books where you do not see any teachers having them are books recommended by students).

The link is http://www.chineseteachers.com/best-books-and-resources-to-learn-mandarin-chinese

We hope you find this useful. Please do not hesitate to comment to let us know what you think, or what other data you would like to see.

klutz14159   June 13th, 2010 9:43a.m.

At the intermediate-advanced level, a friend's Chinese teacher here in Shanghai introduced me to a book that focuses on discriminating between characters that look or sound alike.

The more motivated student would probably have already created his/her own list of confuse-a-cat characters, but I do not belong to that group, so this is a perfect supplement for me. There are no lesson topics, just lists of confusing words and fill in the blank exercises to job your memory.

Book title:
Learning Chinese Characters from Ms. Zhang
-From Characters to Words (A/B)
张老师教汉字-汉字拼读课本(上/下)
Beijing Language and Culture University Press
北京语言大学出版社

Note that the series also has some other books that introduce drawing of characters and associating stories with characters, but those are only for beginners.

Byzanti   June 13th, 2010 9:46a.m.

Since you've got this free advertising here, how about putting a link to Skritter on your site?

ximeng   June 13th, 2010 6:04p.m.

@Byzanti:

http://www.chineseteachers.com/Questions-about-learning-Chinese-with-our-teachers

At the bottom has a link and recommendation for Skritter

Byzanti   June 13th, 2010 6:19p.m.

Good spot! I was expecting it to be with Chinesepod/nciku on the the partners' page. I concede -- fair does.

ChineseTeachers.com   June 14th, 2010 11:54p.m.

@klutz14159

Thank you for the recommendation. We found the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Chinese-Characters-Ms-Zhang/dp/7561912943 - there are no customers review yet for that book so you could be the first happy review :)

@Byzanti

We love Skritter and keep recommending Skritter to all our students who want to learn how to write (and memorize) Chinese characters, and as ximeng mentioned, we also link to them. The partners page is however for companies that have already integrated their content or solution with us. We definitively would love to see Skritter there in the near future :)

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you can see a good place where Skritter & ChineseTeachers.com would integrate their services together. Thanks!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!