Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter hang-ups in China

booknow   February 13th, 2011 11:35p.m.

Have been in China for past three weeks and finding Skritter very frustrating to use here. When using Study I can write between one and ten characters then it just hangs up - the character box with its three green dots just sits there for between ten seconds and ten hours - any suggestions???

Roland   February 13th, 2011 11:48p.m.

Do you use skritter.cn? I am in Shanghai and it works for me most of the time (only sometimes, I have some unpleasant delays, mainly around 10 - 20 secs). If nothing is happening, then I reload the page and it works again, although you might loose some synchronization of the last few items studied.
I also switched over to Google chrome, which works much better than IE or Firefox.

saudukargeneral   February 14th, 2011 12:55a.m.

I am in Shanghai as well and it works fine for me for the most part. I've noticed that mornings and evenings are heavy traffic times and sometimes skritter stops working but after a few refreshes or reconnections, I can usually get it to work.

booknow   February 14th, 2011 3:15a.m.

Thanks Roland. I did not know about skritter.cn - that seems to be working much better.

hannes   February 15th, 2011 6:49p.m.

I have the problem of hang ups every day here in Beijing. When I turn on the VPN it immediately disappears. I think it therefore must have something to do with the internet woo-do the Chinese have in place. I don't think it is linked to a particular browser.

hannes   February 17th, 2011 6:32p.m.

For a change I used scritter.cn today and must say that the performance was actually much better. No hang ups at all...

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!