Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Fun film dialogue website

Lyons   March 1st, 2010 4:04a.m.

Found this website and thought other Skritter users might enjoy it:

http://www.engxue.com

It's got translated dialogues from lots of films and TV shows. If you've ever wanted to know how to ask 你知道巴黎的汉堡 怎么叫吗? now you can.

It's aimed at Chinese people learning English so you may or may not find it hard to navigate. The dialogues seem to translated idiomatically rather than literally, but I think it's still pretty useful and fun.

jww1066   March 1st, 2010 9:58a.m.

LOL that's fantastic. I think I need to make a custom list with vocabulary from "Snakes on a Plane".

http://www.engxue.com/bencandy.php?fid=5&aid=676&page=2&buy=2&line=60.12.166.11

They seem to have translated "Yeah, my booty went thump" as "嗯,我大获全胜" which nciku says means "Huh, I win a complete victory".

James

Ibid   March 1st, 2010 4:55p.m.

Thanks for the link Lyons. This is definitely useful from both ends of the language learning spectrum. I'm watching Avatar; quite good quality. This is a nice alternative to Youku and Tudou, now that those sites are filtering usability for IP addresses outside of China.

west4east   March 1st, 2010 7:19p.m.

Argh, awesome stuff!

pts   March 2nd, 2010 5:48a.m.

I’ve no time to review the video "Snakes on a Plane". But, if the video was translated in HK and contains a lot of Cantonese, which many does, I’d like to comment that, in Cantonese, the character 获 sounds the same as the character 镬, the cooking utensil “wok”, which is also frequently used to refer to a kind of female body part. Then the character 胜 also sounds the same as the character 性. If I’m not too delusional, actual that translation is a good one because it conveys more or less the original meaning, but at the same time, enables the whole family to enjoy the video without the kids discovering anything about it.

taylor04   March 2nd, 2010 9:10a.m.

I still remember how hard I laughed when I was guessing how to say Skynet from Terminator in Chinese. Naturally, I said 天网,they make it so easy sometimes, don't they?

WanLi   March 2nd, 2010 1:04p.m.

are there any similar sites for elementary where low pace Chinese is spoken and pinyin/chars and English are there as subtitles?

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!