Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Chinese Music

william   October 30th, 2010 10:06a.m.

I'm in dire need of good Chinese music. I don't like 80% (八成儿,哈) of the mainstream Chinese music, so finding good music can be a struggle. I sometimes find bands by skipping through tons of music on these websites; kugou(酷狗), qihoo(奇虎), baidu(百度), xunlei(迅雷) among other pages.

I like 山人乐队 (found them thanks to 穆兒's post!), Carsick Cars, 阿牛, 小河, 飞儿乐团(F.I.R.), 孙燕姿, 刘德华(ack! feeling old..) Even some 周杰伦,蔡依林,王力宏,S.H.E. sometimes.

If you haven't tried out any of these, you could give them a spin. Listening/translating music you like can be a motivating and fun way to learn any language.

Anyway, if anyone has recommendations on good Chinese music I'd be glad to hear them.

edjwhite   October 30th, 2010 4:05p.m.

Even though I don't understand hardly any of the lyrics and they are somewhat eclectic I enjoy 二手玫瑰。That's my sole recommendation, but I'm looking forward to hearing other suggestions.

Bohan   October 30th, 2010 6:17p.m.

@William I agree that finding good(enjoyable) Chinese music is extremely difficult, for me anyway. I think one of the reasons English is the defacto and undisputed international common language is because of the wide variety of good movies/music/TV shows all of which serve as motivation for non-English speakers to learn English well. I remember a few years back I met a middle-aged Chinese woman who told me she was learning English just because she wanted to better enjoy American movies

ximeng   October 31st, 2010 6:48a.m.

I like 艾尔肯, his song 巴郎仔 was pretty popular.

SGRuixue   October 31st, 2010 8:40a.m.

I've managed to gather quite a bit from random places over the years. Sadly I don't have names for most. I'll do my best to give the names and artists of what I do have.

千年之恋-信誉团
爱的初体验-张震岳
菜花-liang long- (sorry don't know his 汉字)
1到10=我和你
我不喜欢...-SHE
自由飞翔 (??)
是什么音乐让你觉得舒服 J Wu
霍元甲
蝴蝶花-水木年华
将爱-S.H.E. (王菲-Wang Fei)

nickybr38   November 1st, 2010 6:46p.m.

I do NOT have any Chinese names for you here but I like the band called Fusion (it's kind of easy rock), and an artist named JJ Lin (his album Sixology is probably the best of his work).

But I have to tell you it's hard to make recommendations since I don't know the artists you listed (Can't read that much Chinese yet!!) and I'm not sure what style you like. I'll just say the two I listed above are my own personal favorites.

Sammi Cheng's new album Faith is pretty good too.

While we're on the topic of music, anyone know some good Chinese Christian music? Hee.

nickybr38   November 1st, 2010 6:47p.m.

Oh! And a duo called milk@coffee is pretty good. Their music is really cute and light hearted. :)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!