Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Praise and a suggestion!

DaXia   February 4th, 2011 1:23p.m.

I have now been using skritter for a few days, and I got to say that I just like it more and more. I tried it on my phone earlier today and it worked surprisingly well, so kudos the creators!

Also, I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to add the word class of what ever word you are practicing?

It wouldnt have to be anything advanced, just like a "动" for 动词 or "副" for 副词, 名 for "名词" etc.

You could put it before the translation, like:
__ __ (庆祝)
qing zhu
动:To celebrate
今天我们来____一下!

or for a word that could be used as more than one word class:

__ __ (高兴)
gao xing
形:happy.
我今天感觉特别____.
动:Be happy to.
你不高兴干就拉倒。

I believe it could help a lot when you're trying to understand how to use new words.

InkCube   February 4th, 2011 1:48p.m.

I would love that too. My hopes for the near future are not all to high though since I'm sure this would be a lot of work.

I think however, that would be especially helpful to get a better sense of how to use a word and make words with lots of different meanings less confusing.

I find it especially annoying that the fact that a certain character is also used as a classifier is easily lost in a big wall of definition...

DaXia   February 4th, 2011 4:06p.m.

Yeah, it would really be super helpful. Another thing that could be helpful would be if there you could add the Chinese explanation of a word, like take 表态 for example. The English translation is "make known one's position; declare where one stands; commit oneself", and im sure that might be helpful for some people, but if you look at the Chinese explanation: "表明态度", it makes a lot more sense, and is a 100 times more helpful to me.

I understand that all these changes would be a lot of work for one person, and I wish that there was anyway us users could help. I know I would be happy to help if I could.

Byzanti   February 5th, 2011 12:34a.m.

Daxia, if you click the definition itself you can edit it. It only takes a second and you can add whatever information you want (eg, all you suggested above). I've done something similarish. It is a big help!

DaXia   February 5th, 2011 12:04p.m.

Byzanti, thanks!

Btw, do you know how to add/write your own example sentences?
And what is a "mnemonic"? English is not my main language ^^

DaXia   February 5th, 2011 3:25p.m.

Forget the last post, I actually used the search function (for once :P) and found other already answered posts asking the same thing. I have activated the alpha stuff, and found out that you can be useful and send feedbacks instead of bitching about already known issues here :D

Be prepared to drown in an immense amount of feedback guys ^^

nick   February 6th, 2011 7:56a.m.

We're ready! I can swim in feedback much better than in water.

Byzanti's suggestion to add the part of speech and uncontracted Chinese phrase to your custom definitions is a good one. We aren't likely to add parts of speech to all our words because of the amount of work and because we don't have a good reference for resolving confusion on them (Chinese words often have multiple parts of speech).

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!