Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Mac OSX font change?

WanLi   February 13th, 2011 12:26a.m.

is it possible to change the skritter display font? would it be browser font? most likely i use chrome, and firefox mainly. any help, links appreciated.

nick   February 13th, 2011 6:53a.m.

If you have any of these fonts, Skritter will use them for the reading and definition prompts:
KaiTi
楷体
STKaiti
KaiTi_GB2312
Adobe 楷体 Std R

You can get one of them here:
http://www.skritter.com/misc/simkai.zip

WanLi   February 15th, 2011 1:40p.m.

thanks that is a bit better ;-)

hannes   March 12th, 2011 11:55p.m.

Hi I have the same problem after updating to the latest flash plug-in the Chinese font has been changed. The new one is very poor. Some characters are even displayed incorrectly. The fonts Nick mentions above are all installed on my system. However I do not seem to find the setting telling the flash plug-in to use this font.

Any suggestions?

Stephan

nick   March 13th, 2011 9:33a.m.

Stephan, what version do you see on this page?
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html
Also, which browsers have you tried with it, and which operating system is it?

hannes   March 13th, 2011 7:52p.m.

It should be the latest version: MAC 10,2,152,26

I use safari on Mac OS X 10.6

I tried firefox with the same results but don't have that one installed anymore.

The font change for Chinese characters came along with the upgrade to the latest flash version that was released about a month ago or so.

nick   March 14th, 2011 9:08a.m.

There isn't any setting for you to tell Flash what font to use. We have code in Skritter to try a bunch of fonts from that list until it finds one it can use. Flash doesn't always respect it though; its font usage seems pretty buggy to me.

With the same browser, operating system, and Flash version, I see the nice font as usual. I'll add some debugging logic and it'll tell me what font it's trying to use for you, and we can go from there.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!