Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Slow app?

chanelle77   February 2nd, 2010 2:34a.m.

Hello,

Can someone maybe help me with the following?
I use a wacom tablet and the app seems to be very slow, the rest is fine. The "dot" only moves slow in the writing area.
Any suggestions for this? It has been fine before and do not know what is going on.
Could this be related to site performance in China?

Thx!

LuoKai   February 2nd, 2010 3:53a.m.

Should have posted before with some good news, as I have been a very happy user of Skritter for some months now.:) But.. today I experienced the same problems as chanelle77 though, only for me it wasn't the first time. I'm using Google Chrome, latest flash, as far as i can tell...

Doug (松俊江)   February 2nd, 2010 4:21a.m.

Hmm, I'm using a tablet pc with a wacom logo on it (so I assume the software is wacom's) and Vista and it is working OK today - it does seem a little bit slower sans VPN so it might be china firewall related.

Have you (LuoKai) tried another browser (IE or Firefox) to see if it still happens there (so Nick & co. can figure out if it is browser-specific?) Are you using XP or Vista (or something else)?

chanelle77   February 2nd, 2010 5:28a.m.

I'm using FF and XP on Asus eee pc with Bamboo in Nanjing (if this info is of any help :-) )
I was crossing my fingers it was me progressing too much and writing too fast, but I'm afraid must be China...

Doug (松俊江)   February 2nd, 2010 6:26a.m.

Ha, progressing too fast, we all wish! My connection just went out altogether for a bit but it's back up now. Me thinks you are right.

mcfarljw   February 2nd, 2010 7:13a.m.

I have noticed over the past few days it has lagged a bit. I've always stopped for awhile and came back later and to it working at normal speed again though. Makes it very difficult when the cursor is lagging behind my mouse movement by an inch haha.

nick   February 2nd, 2010 8:42a.m.

If the cursor is moving slowly, it's probably not a network issue, but rather the computer is having trouble running the Flash app. If it's slow in Firefox, you can try it in Chrome and it might be faster (or vice versa, actually, because Chrome handles the cursor differently and it might lag behind while the rest of the Flash app goes quickly).

The only other things you can try right now are:
1) close any other JavaScript-heavy sites you have open while practicing (especially Gmail);
2) try setting the stroke order strictness to 100% (might help a teensy bit);
3) upgrade to really new versions of your browser and Flash (you can get 10.1 beta versions now) in the hopes that they're faster; or
4) wait for me to really heavily optimize things like crazy in preparation for Skritter on mobile phones.

I've done a fair bit of optimizing already and I can't find any more easy performance gains, so when I go to do another round it'll have to involve ripping a lot of stuff out and reorganizing things to take advantage of rendering speedups possible with Flash 10.1's hardware acceleration. That'll take a while.

LuoKai   February 3rd, 2010 2:47a.m.

Seems to run better today! Thanks 2Shanghai and Nick for your advice!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!