Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

stelingo   May 16th, 2010 11:27a.m.

In my textbook the following vocab is given, with 2nd tone for 难 in all of them.

难写
难看
难学

However skritter gives 2 possible tones for 难, 2nd and forth. In 难看 and 难学 it is marked as 2nd tone, but in 难写, 4th tone. Which is correct?

Foo Choo Choon   May 16th, 2010 11:35a.m.

难 in 4th tone is 灾难的难 or 非难的难。
Hence, the meaning is different, it refers to "disaster", "trouble" or, as in 非难, "blame."

pts   May 16th, 2010 11:44a.m.

Yes, 难 can be both 2nd and 4th tone, but all the 难 in 难写、难看 and 难学 are 2nd tone.

stelingo   May 16th, 2010 4:11p.m.

Ok, thanks for your replies.

Lurks   May 16th, 2010 6:23p.m.

Probably 苦难 most common example of 难 in the 4th tone. It looks like, rule wise, if it's first char then it's 2nd, otherwise it's 4th. I seem to recall that being the case with some other characters too but can't summon them presently :)

muir   May 16th, 2010 8:50p.m.

That rule works most of the time, but I think it's better to associate the tone to the meaning rather than character position. This is kind of a crappy counterexample, but consider 艱難/艰难。

Lurks   May 17th, 2010 12:47a.m.

Yeah, after all you could just get it mixed up with tone sandhi I guess.

ChrisClark   May 17th, 2010 2:41p.m.

I corrected 难写 and 难学 in the Skritter database.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!