Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter on Android in China

Fred   September 19th, 2010 1:10p.m.

I just arrived in Beijing for a year abroad. I've been using skritter passionately before and the Android app makes me want to get a smartphone. Problem is that there's only a chinese version of android here apparently, which seems to barely be working.

Has anyone tried the skritter app over here yet? If it works, what phone and network should I get and where can I get it for a reasonable price? I need to get a phone anyway, and this would be a big factor when choosing one.

cheers,
Fred

FatDragon   September 19th, 2010 8:59p.m.

If you know what you're looking for, and where to look, you can find a legit Android phone, but beware that most of the phones you'll find outside of official China Mobile and China Unicom dealers will be fake, and will almost definitely have inferior hardware, along with sketchy software. I've had some phone purchasing nightmares myself here, which ended, after about 10 hours of my life were wasted (not to mention however many years I lost off the end due to stress), with me in possession of a phone worth about half of what I paid.

I'll add that the phones will be much more expensive than a subsidized, locked American variant, and typically even more expensive than a brand-new unlocked phone would cost in the States, so if you find a deal that's too good to be true, guess what... it is.

murrayjames   September 20th, 2010 12:01a.m.

Yikes, I haven't had an experience as bad as FatDragon has. I came to China with a Google Nexus One. After it was stolen in Beijing two months ago(!), I bought an HTC Desire in Chengdu. I'm thankful to report there are no problems--with the hardware or anything else. It was imported from Europe and cost 3000 something RMB. Not a bad price at all.

Fred, how's your spoken Chinese? Do you local friends who can help you? FatDragon is right: when looking for 水货, let the buyer beware. The store I went to was recommended by one of my wife's co-workers. They had upgraded her HTC Hero free of charge, added a Chinese language location, etc etc. Find *this* kind of store, not the guy hocking phones on the street.

To use Skritter on your phone, you need a phone running Android 2.2 Froyo. Not all Android phones are running (or are capable of running) 2.2, so do your research first. If you find the right store, the worker will know what you're talking about and can help you.

You wrote: "Problem is that there's only a chinese version of android here apparently, which seems to barely be working." What phone are you using? What version of Android are you running? As I wrote above, I'm using an HTC phone I bought in China. The localization (the interface of the phone) is completely in Chinese, but it does everything fine.

See this page for Android phones running 2.2:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16310/android_22_upgrade_list

Fred   September 21st, 2010 2:57p.m.

Thanks for the help. I haven't actually tried android myself over here. My old phone went for a swim, but still works although people on the other end can't really hear me. So I need a new one and did some research.

Admittedly, the stuff i found on forums was written some months ago, but it said in China, Android was called something else and didn't have access to the original google apps, only China Mobile's own apps. Google Nexus is also available, but with a different name from what I could tell.

My concern is that I wont be able to access the flash app you apparently need for skritter. But have you actually gotten skritter to work here? I'm on a year abroad and need to learn 200 words a week. Self-discipline isn't one of my personal skills so if I find a phone on which I can use skritter, I'd be happy.

I've been here before so I've got both language skills and chinese friends. I'll check prices online to make sure it's not ridiculously more expensive than back home. But I should be able to take it home with me and use there as well right?

murrayjames   September 21st, 2010 10:42p.m.

Fred,

Ask your friends about 水货--smuggled goods. Did you see the link I posted above? It lists the phones currently or soon to running 2.2 Froyo. If the phone runs 2.2, it is flash-capable and can probably run Skritter. Note that some of the listed phones have not received the Froyo update yet.

Stay away from the China Mobile phones. Buy your cell phone from a store like I described, not your service provider. If you find the right store they should help you with everything.

My HTC Desire was imported from Europe. My phone before that was a Nexus One, brought in from Canada. Skritter works on both phones.

Where are you from? If you buy a GSM phone it will work on some (not all) networks in the USA and Canada. It should well throughout Europe.

Be prepared to spend 3-4000 RMB on your new Android phone. Bring your Beijing friends with you to the store so you don't get ripped off.

enlargazebra   October 1st, 2010 11:20a.m.

The China Android platform would be Ophone OS, made by BORQS and invested in heavily by China Mobile. The idea is to create a customized smartphone platform for Chinese operators that is free of expense licensing costs paid to Western companies (hence it is not able to access google apps).

Of course, like many enterprises started by the state, it is destined for mediocrity. I have yet to hear anything good about the platform or the health of the company. I would not hold my breath waiting for Android 2.2 compatibility.

jww1066   October 1st, 2010 11:56a.m.

@enlargazebra Huh? Licensing costs? Android is open source...

http://source.android.com/source/licenses.html

Foo Choo Choon   October 2nd, 2010 4:57p.m.

@jww1066: Licensing should be free in theory, but big players need to expect the necessity to strike patent deals with companies like Microsoft, see HTC and - in case Microsoft wins the new lawsuit - Motorola.

I am going to buy a smartphone in about 3-5 years, so keep developing. 哈哈

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!