Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Wrong pronounciation

Cheryl   February 8th, 2010 7:25a.m.

I have noticed a couple of times recently that the sound I'm hearing for Chinese pronounciation is wrong, although the written pinyin is clearly correct. For example, I just had the word 奉行 and the sound I heard was 'fengding' instead of 'fengxing'. A little over a week ago, I had wrong pronounciation for the word 讲究. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I'm sure it was a change in a consonant sound. Both times, I went back to see whether I just wasn't listening carefully enough and the wrong pronounciation was repeated. I don't know if it happens when the word comes up the next time... i.e. in a few days.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem?

faceleg   February 8th, 2010 7:30a.m.

When you hit a "wrong" word, press the "feedback" button and describe the problem. The devs read these messages. The message contains information about the character you're writing, making it easier for them to track it down.

hkboy   February 8th, 2010 8:12a.m.

Yes, faceleg is very helpful. He is always willing to help anyone. I'm glad we have him. I will sleep with peace tonight.

faceleg   February 8th, 2010 8:20a.m.

Hold grudges much?

hkboy   February 8th, 2010 8:26a.m.

no, I'm starting to like you but still too dumb to input characaters. I did many searches before and after but...too many options.

faceleg   February 8th, 2010 8:35a.m.

http://www.google.com/ime/pinyin/

Try that one? I've never used it but it's what my wife Mother (Chinese) uses.

faceleg   February 8th, 2010 8:36a.m.
hkboy   February 8th, 2010 8:42a.m.

Please give special greetings to your mom. I'm sorry I'm not as smart as your are. I will try to improve.

nick   February 8th, 2010 9:12a.m.

For some reason, the sound files sometimes load improperly such that a similar syllable appears where the correct one should be. It's the strangest bug. For a while, I thought it was the same as this bug, but now I'm not sure:
http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=21547088

Anyway, if you get any more leads, let me know. I've still never been able to reproduce it, but it seems to happen rarely.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!